Cleaning a Shower Curtain

I used to hate washing my shower curtain. Undoing all those clips at the top, what a bore! One day, I took the entire curtain, clips and all, and threw it in the washing machine on delicate. What a time saver! No damage was done to the curtain and I saved so much time and aggravation.

By Jo from Riverside, RI

12 More Solutions

We bought a new plastic shower liner, used inside fabric curtain. You should not hang up in the bathroom, as it gives off harmful chemicals. So what we did was hang the liner in the outside garage for 10 days.

I buy just shower liner curtains instead of the fancy curtains. When they start to get a build up on them, I take them down and soak them in the sink in a small amount of bleach and white vinegar water.

I found that if I spray the plastic shower curtain liner about once a week with a tub and tile foam cleaner, it will look almost new. I use the Dow Scrubbing Bubbles - just spray on the inside of the shower liner, wait a couple of minutes and wipe off with a sponge or spray with the shower head. By Melna

Does anyone else hate this chore as much as I do? I've tried scrubbing everything with a cleanser and a stuff brush but everything still looked dirty when I finished. I decided to try something different. I took down the shower curtain and the liner and removed the plastic tub mat and put everything in the washer with four washcloths they also needed washing.

I just finished cleaning my clear shower screen that was covered with soap scum and mold. I have not been able to get it back to a clear screen since we moved in several years ago but finally after using all types of cleaners from natural to chemical...

When changing the shower curtain liner, use the towel bar as an easy-reach holder for the curtain rings.

How do I remove scum from clear plastic shower curtain? I was told to wash it in the washing machine with laundry soap and vinegar. I did and all I got was a torn ruined shower curtain.

Coreen from Burnaby, B.C.

Answers

I used to buy the heavy vinyl shower curtains and ran into the same problem of them tearing after a number of washings. So I finally bought a white polyester fabric shower curtain liner from Walmart which sits inside the bathtub. I having a matching shower curtain which stays outside my tub which matches my bathroom drapes.

So when the shower curtain liner needs washing, I take it down and pop it in my washing machine with some bleach and detergent. Once it's done washing, I hang it up damp and it dries very quickly on the shower curtain rings.

By DEBRADJ. (Guest Post)

I had the same soap scum problem till I started drying the curtain off after every use with the towel. I just dried on and it cut the problem down to almost nothing.

By joesgirl (Guest Post)

Maybe the reason that the shower curtain got torn was that you didn't use the gentle cycle. I put a few towels & add 1/2 C of detergent, 1/2 C bleach & 1/2 C borax. I always make sure that I wash the curtain on a sunny day so that I can then line dry it outside. Have been doing this for over 40 years & have always had great results. Good luck.

I kept having the same problem so I got a fabric shower curtain liner. I'm not sure what it's made of--polyester maybe? But it keeps the water in the shower and not on the bathroom floor, it doesn't get scummy and it doesn't fall apart in the wash.

What about getting the rust stains from hard water off? We only use cold water to wash... everything else comes lovely clean. Just can't get the rust off.

By D. Gjerdingen (Guest Post)

When washing a vinyl shower curtain, it is important to use warm rather than cold water. Cold water makes vinyl stiffen up, so it cracks and tears more easily. Warm water keeps it soft. When I started using warm water, my vinyl shower curtains came out whole, rather than torn to shreds!

Throw it out and get a fabric curtain. I wash mine once a month in the washer and leave the rings on. It is simple. If you must use a plastic one, use liners instead of the heavy ones then throw them away when they are dirty. I will never own a plastic curtain again.

I have the plastic shower curtain liner in my bathroom. I put it in the washer with warm water,
gain and Clorox bleach and run it through the entire
wash cycle. It comes out like new.

How do I clean a light plastic shower liner without putting it in the washer?

By orphenannie

Answers

Use brush to remove the dirt's in it.

I think they only cost a few dollars so just replace it. I used to replace them until I discovered the silky cloth ones. I have two. One as a liner and one for the outside of the tub. They are expensive but last forever and can be washed in the washer. I leave the rings on and wash the curtains with my towels. I hang them back up damp because after all they are going to get damp again anyway.

It's a lot easier to just put it in with a small load of laundry (cold water), take it out of the washer and then rehang immediately rather than trying to wash it by hand in a sink or bathtub. I've had the same plastic liner for over four years and it still looks like new. Put them in with items such as towels and shirts rather than heavier metal containing items such as jeans or slacks.

Answer this Question

I have white tile in our bathroom and a beautiful new fabric shower curtain that was expensive. I just noticed that both have black mildew on them. I have told my husband to close the shower curtain after showering because leaving it pushed open and folded causes mildew.

How can I remove the mildew from both without using those horrible strong smelling sprays? The shower curtain is gold in color with a diamond pattern and piping around the edges. I can't use a product with bleach on it.

By Cisco's Mom

Answers

I have no issues with mine being I buy the good liners. I take both down and drop them in the washing machine. Remove them and hang them to dry.

Answer this Question

I have an expensive clear shower curtain liner that is becoming cloudy looking. What can I use to make it clear again?

By Mari K.

Answer this Question

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.

Home and Garden Cleaning BathroomFebruary 16, 2012
😷
🎄
🍂
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf629412.tip.html