Cleaning Nicotine Off Walls

Is nicotine a grease?

By Ann

I am not positive, but my landlord, who has the apartments painted with semi-glossy paint, said he uses a de-greaser cleaner that he buys at a dollar store to wipe the walls down with. He's owned these places for quite a while, so he's probably tried everything and this is what works for him. He swears by it, but I've tried it and it seems to work so-so.

What I have a problem with is where pictures were hung, I cannot get that part to come as clean as the rest of the walls, therefore, it leaves where the pictures were hanging a brighter color. I've yet to find anything that will get the rest of the walls to the color of where the pics were hanging.

I've tried vinegar/hot water/baking soda, the de-greaser spray, ammonia/hot water/baking soda, ammonia/baking soda, oxy clean/hot water and possibly more I can't think of right at this moment. Perhaps I've not tried the 'right' degreaser.

Try spraying with a bleach cleaner (like Clorox Cleanup) then using a damp sponge, evenly spread the cleaner all over the wall, top to bottom. I've done that, and it's removed every outline and left the entire wall the same color. Just don't let it dribble down, or you will have areas that are a brighter white! Do it in 3 ft x 3 ft squares, overlapping. I use this on my white kitchen cupboards, cabinet tops and appliances. Works great! It has removed cooking stains (even beets and red KoolAid), nicotine, soot, and a million fingerprints! :-) Good luck!

Oven cleaner works great on walls and ceilings, I just did it to my friends apartment for there inspection