Cleaning Wood Paneling

Category Walls
Find the best way to clean the wood panels on your walls. This page is about cleaning wood paneling.

What's the best thing to use on paneling that is too dry and needs to be cleaned?

By glenda dunnigan from Belleville, IL

Answers

When I had wood paneling I used Old English Oil or Pledge to keep it nice looking.

Pledge orange oil. It cleans, polishes, and smells so good. Or lemon oil. I like the orange better, it is not greasy.

Scott's Liquid Gold is a similar product that is good for cleaning and shining wood.

Anonymous

To clean dried out paneling, I use Murphy's oil soap.

I recently moved into an older home with very old pine wood paneling that is very dark. I have started cleaning it with Murphy's Wood Oil Soap, which is proving a bit expensive, to say the least. I am trying to find a more economical and quicker way to remove the buildup as this would really brighten the room.

Any suggestions for homemade cleaning solutions that work would be greatly appreciated.

Answers

You can use any mild detergent mixed with warm water

Are you trying to just clean or lighten?

Cleaning can be done with a little blue Dawn dish soap in warm water. Wash in one direction...best top down. Do not saturate the wood. A fan to dry it is helpful

Lightening may require the wood being sanded. Unless you have a lot of experience with this, I don't recommend trying it on your own. I say this because I ruined a door trying it. It got all uneven and wonky.

Cost myself more than if I would have hired a person experienced in wood refinishing.

Post back photos of the finished product!

How do you remove the stickers that the children have put on the wooden paneling?

By Susan D.

Home and Garden Cleaning WallsJanuary 21, 2013
📓
🐛
😎
🌻