Cleaning a Cast Iron Tub

Category Bathroom
Keeping your cast iron tub clean and shiny is best done by using a non-abrasive cleaner and a soft sponge. For older damaged and stained tubs, some people have had success with Bar Keepers Friend. This is a guide about cleaning a cast iron tub.

Do you dread cleaning your cast iron tub? An easier way is to spray the tub with your Oven Cleaner, follow instructions and let it sit. Wipe gently and your have a brand new looking, sparkling clean tub without breaking your back.

By Cipora Auslander

Help me clean my tub! The tub is a 1950s cast iron tub with hairline circular cracks around the drain (with stains in them) and two corners have rust spots (I don't know if they are from below the glaze or from something that sat on top). I tried CLR. What do I do?

By Refinnej from Chesapeake, VA

Answers:

Cleaning a Stained Cast Iron Tub

Have you tried Bar Keeper's Friend? I had a stained porcelain sink (marks from my cast iron skillet, plus rust from something else), and nothing else helped. My mother-in-law recommended Bar Keeper's Friend, and it worked like a charm! I found it in the cleaning supplies near Comet. Best of luck! (07/17/2010)

By Lisa

I have a badly stained avocado coloured cast iron enameled bath. How do I clean it?

By margaret

Answers:

Cleaning a Stained Cast Iron Tub

Cast Iron Cleaning Tips

Cast iron fixtures are probably the easiest fixtures to care for, as they have the hardest finish of all plumbing fixtures. The porcelain glaze that is bonded to the iron achieves a hardness very near that of actual glass. We all know that glass, because of its hardness and smoothness is really quite easy to clean. Porcelain, when cleaned on a regular basis, will shine like new glass forever. However, many people simply wait too long to clean things as mentioned above.

Each manufacturer usually prints distinct cleaning instructions and recommended cleaners to use on their products. These instructions are always packaged with the items in new installations. If you have existing fixtures, you can call the 1-800 #s listed in the Acrylic And Fiberglass Shower Manufacturers column to obtain the instructions. Or, if you like, you can contact a local product distributor.

For example: the Kohler company publishes the following instructions for caring and cleaning of their cast iron products:

• Do use only non-abrasive cleaners and a soft nylon brush to clean the slip resistant surface of tubs.
  • Do use cleaners with a Ph of between 3 and 8. (Ph is a measurement of how acidic or alkaline a cleaner is.) The following cleaners are recommended: Earth Rite All Purpose, Earth Rite Tub&Tile, Glass Plus, green Windex, Pinesol Broad Spectrum, Sparkle, Top Job, and Enviro Care Neutral Disinfectant.
  • Do NOT use steel wool, wire brushes, metal scrapers, or abrasive sponge pads!
  • Do NOT use buffing machines on the slip resistant surfaces on tubs.
  • Do NOT use high alkaline or strong acidic cleaners!
  • Do NOT use abrasive cleaners.

Never trust what is published on the label of a cleaning product. Always check with the manufacturer to see if the cleaner is OK to use. Some cleaners say "Safe for all surfaces, contains soft abrasives that are safe for such and such surfaces". Don't believe them! Good luck. (11/15/2009)

By kathleen williams