Cleaning a Computer

I wipe the table that I use for my desk and laptop with a bounce dryer sheet. I also wipe the outside of the PCs and keep one in my laptop bag. It cuts down on dust and keep my PCs running cool. Dust is a computer's worst enemy!

By Carmen Connell from Daytona Beach, FL

More Solutions

My computer's case has tiny vents that clog up with dust (in addition to the larger obvious vents). They are quite difficult to clean due to the fact that the vents are surrounded by deep fins.

I am getting ready to move and discovered all this dust in the areas you can't see. I began with a soft dust brush going over everything, the keyboard, the printer, the back of the hard drive, router, and power strip. Then I used my hair dryer.

Cleaning My Computer - keyboard and brush

Every computer needs to be cleaned periodically, especially if you use the computer in an office and around a lot of paper. The inside of all computers sucks in dust, which gets trapped in the processor heat sink and fan. This can slow down the processor and eventually cause the processor to overheat.

inside of a very dusty desktop computer

This is the way I clean my laptop monitor; I use a microfiber cloth. If this doesn't work dampen the cloth and try again.

Use eyeglass cleaner to dust of the monitor and use a damp Q-tip between the keys. Use a feather duster to give it a dust, lightly over all. This works for me. You can't use anything strong on the monitor.

7 Questions

How do you clean the area under and around the computer/desk without raising dust? I am allergic to dust and the area with the computer wire is a dust problem. Thanks.

By laura from IL

Answers

It's as simple as unplugging everything computer desk related from the electrical outlet and use a damp rag, rinsing and wringing the cloth as needed, and clean the wires and surrounding area the old fashioned way. ;-)

Ugh! If you have a cord phobia like I do, that won't work. I don't mess with my plugs unless I must, but like Laura, I suffer from allergies when I'm cleaning, too.

Use the brush attachment on your vacuum, works great.

Answer this Question
Computers MaintenanceOctober 2, 2012
🍀
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Cleaning-a-Computer-5.html