Cleaning a Computer

Category Maintenance
To run at its best and perhaps save you money on future repairs, your computer can do with a periodic cleaning. This is a page about cleaning a computer.

I wipe the table that I use for my desk and laptop with a bounce dryer sheet. I also wipe the outside of the PCs and keep one in my laptop bag. It cuts down on dust and keep my PCs running cool. Dust is a computer's worst enemy!

By Carmen Connell from Daytona Beach, FL

My computer's case has tiny vents that clog up with dust (in addition to the larger obvious vents). They are quite difficult to clean due to the fact that the vents are surrounded by deep fins.

I came up with a solution that, while not perfect, is helpful. I take a piece of masking tape, drape it (sticky side out) over the short end of a ruler, and wipe the grating in a back and forth and up and down motion. Replace the tape and wipe again.

You'd be surprised at how much dust comes up monthly. I have been informed that this is not a reflection on my housekeeping!

By Holly from Big D, TX

I am getting ready to move and discovered all this dust in the areas you can't see. I began with a soft dust brush going over everything, the keyboard, the printer, the back of the hard drive, router, and power strip. Then I used my hair dryer (not too close) and blew out the keyboard, the back of the hard drive, and all the wires.

I could not believe how clean everything became. Now I will remember to do this on an every 3 month basis. I am sure it helps the computer run better.

Every computer needs to be cleaned periodically, especially if you use the computer in an office and around a lot of paper. The inside of all computers sucks in dust, which gets trapped in the processor heat sink and fan. This can slow down the processor and eventually cause the processor to overheat.

This is the way I clean my laptop monitor; I use a microfiber cloth. If this doesn't work dampen the cloth and try again.

Use eyeglass cleaner to dust of the monitor and use a damp Q-tip between the keys. Use a feather duster to give it a dust, lightly over all.

This works for me. You can't use anything strong on the monitor.

How do you clean the area under and around the computer/desk without raising dust? I am allergic to dust and the area with the computer wire is a dust problem. Thanks.

By laura from IL

Answers

Anonymous

It's as simple as unplugging everything computer desk related from the electrical outlet and use a damp rag, rinsing and wringing the cloth as needed, and clean the wires and surrounding area the old fashioned way. ;-)

Ugh! If you have a cord phobia like I do, that won't work.

I don't mess with my plugs unless I must, but like Laura, I suffer from allergies when I'm cleaning, too.

Use the brush attachment on your vacuum, works great.

Computers MaintenanceOctober 2, 2012
🐛
📓
🌻