Cleaning a Dishwasher

My dishwasher is full of soap scum or a white powder. It is even on dishes and pots. We are using Cascade.

By Charlie from Tucson, AZ

Answers:

Cleaning a Dishwasher

Add about 1-2 cups of vinegar and run it through a full cycle. If you are having problems with powdered dishwasher detergent, switch to a liquid. (09/14/2010)

By MCW

Cleaning a Dishwasher

My dishwasher did the same thing due to hard well water. The drying unit was caked with white hard water deposits. All I did was buy a product called LemiShine, and began using it daily in my dishwasher. It immediately gave me sparkling clean dishes and after a week or so I noticed my drying unit was also clean! LemiShine is about $4.00 for 18 uses at Wal-Mart. I have since found that Tang works quite well too. They are both citric acid based. I think I'd start with the LemiShine then switch over to Tang since the LemiShine is more concentrated for a tough job. Use the Tang for maintenance. (09/16/2010)

By pattycares

Cleaning a Dishwasher

My mother had the same problem, but we turned her water heater temp up and the problem disappeared. (09/17/2010)

By yoder178

Cleaning a Dishwasher

I have also had a white film in the dishwasher if there was a lot of bacon fat on a dish and this wasn't pre-rinsed. Everything in the dishwasher and the interior of the machine itself was coated with a greasy white film. Running another load took care of the problem. It also occurred to me that you might be using too much soap in the machine, and it is not all rinsing out. I also use Cascade, but you might find a different detergent works better in your water.

If the vinegar and other suggestions don't work, try a different detergent. (09/21/2010)

By louel53