Cleaning a Mattress

Category Bedrooms
Cleaning a mattress thoroughly of stains, germs, and odors may seem daunting. This is a guide about cleaning a mattress.

The other day my fiance and I bought a bed. The thing about the bed is that it was the display mattress, where people can lay/sit on it. The reason for buying the display one was because it was a great deal, a $600 mattress for $335. I was wanting to disinfect it but I am unsure what to use. I was hoping to use the Clorox Anywhere Spray, but its for hard surface only. Does anyone know what I could use?

Summer

Answers

You might want to try using 10-12 drops of essential oil mixed with about 2 ounces of water and misting your bed with that. It's a safe and effective anti-bacterial. Tea Tree oil would be effective as would lavender. Lavender oil would make the bed smell extra nice, too! Just be sure you use essential oil and not fragrance oil to get the cleansing effect.

Borax, in the aqua yellow box in the laundry aisle. Think that should work.

thanks!! i'll give it a try!!

I use Lysol Disinfectant Spray each time the sheets are changed and also the mattress have a pad cover over it.

I use the Lysol Disinfecting Spray for my bed, sheets and furniture, too. I also take it with me if I'm staying in a hotel...it just makes me feel better when I slip under those sheets...and it has a great fresh scent!!!!

What about a steam cleaner?

I'd forget it. It would be no different than sitting on a theater seat, and you sure don't disenfect that every time you go. The few people sitting or lying on that mattress surely were fully dressed.

I have a spray bottle with rubbing alcohol in it handy for using all the time. I'd spray the mattress with alcohol. I use the alcohol on the telephone, light switches, door knobs, cabinet pulls, etc...even my hands. It is a sanitizer, that's one of the ingredients in fabreeze.

I keep a spray bottle with white vinegar in it and spray it on everything. I use it to clean mirrors, counter tops, floors, etc. and also spray it in the air and on fabrics as a "freshener". When I change the sheets & mattress pads on my beds I spray the mattress with the vinegar. The vinegar scent disappears quickly and the mattress is dry long before I need to remake the bed.

Vinegar is a natural deodorizer and cleanser and is very inexpensive in the gallon jug.

I would use Lysol also as it disinfects and deodorizes. And maybe those people who lay on the bed are fully clothed, but you don't know where "those clothes" have been and I'm sure they don't take off their shoes when they try them out and think where their feet have been and what they may have walked on! Picky? Maybe, but I wouldn't want to sleep with anyone elses germs! Maybe I would steam clean it first then use Lysol! Good luck!

I don't know about disinfecting a mattress but we have a vinyl allergy cover on our mattress and one on the box spring. You can not feel it once you put the mattress pad and sheets on. Because it's air tight, it would keep anything that is on the mattress from getting on you and it also improves the life of the mattress, preventing it from getting full of dust.

Can anyone tell me how to clean and disinfect a mattress given to me? Then I'll buy one of those mattress cases and mattress pad. Thanks

Keeper from Morganton, NC

Answers

Ok - what I did once with a mattress that I was given was spray it thoroughly with spray disinfectant - until it was damp - all over - I did it several times in the most used areas...then I left it out in the sun to bake and dry and kill anything in it. Then when I used it, I put it in a mattress bag, enclosing the whole thing - and I used a mattress pad. No problems...

Naw. Don't be a wuss. Wash it up with an antibacterial agent. Cover it with an nice cover. If you're really paranoid, stick it in the microwave to kill straggling bacteria.

By Fen Patrick
Fen,Thanks for the laugh..do I cut it b-4 the microwave or carefully fold it 1st.? LOL
Keeper

Thanks for all your helpful advice.Forgot to tell y'all it's my Grams...So I know where it's been.I do believe I'd never buy a used one.In NC none of the 2nd hand stores accept or sell mattress or boxsprings.Thanks y'all..Keeper

A thought:

If you've stayed in a motel or hotel, guess what? You've slept on a used mattress and I really doubt they disinfect after each checkout.

Sure buying new is best, but mattress prices are WAY outta whack. They're just wood,wire,foam batting and cloth for crying out loud.

Disinfect it, encase it, pad it and forget it.

While I do agree witih many of tne comments,I would like to add. In my household, we had a few "wetting" accidents. The mattresses were put in the sun (early), sprayed, and baked. Anything baked in the sun (long enough) is free of most germs. I bought a set of used matresses and I have not had one problem. I baked them, bought a mattress cover, put a pad on top and my company loves to sleep on it! As a mater of fact, it's everybody's favorite bed. Of course I bought it from a nice old lady who kept her house clean. I knew her and her overall cleanliness; now as for a public domain, I would be slightly more careful/cautious. Who would know? PB. 'bama

I purchased to mattress sets from the second hand store because I just did not have the money for new sets. I checked to make sure there were no stains. I took them home. spray them down with bug spray then vaccumed and let air dry. I then sprinkled baking soda on it and let it sit. I purchased a foam mattress cover and pad. My bed feels like a $2000 mattress. A little time consuming (about 2 days worth), but worth it.

laj52 this problem you have sounds like the one I had 2 years ago and I did on my own find a fix. Anything with tolfanate in it and go to the health food store for walnut hulls, I use the leaves from the tree itself and dry them crush them and use 2teaspoons of the crushed leaves for tea with another tea and sweetener. It took 6 months of once a month using the black walnut leaf tea and daily using the tolfanate . The walnut clears bugs from the system and the tolfnate kills them from the top. Check the cdc website for unidentified parasite syndrome, just don't believe everything you read. It is everywhere and they deny it exists. gbk

The aforementioned tips sound great, but as one comment suggested. You never know what is in a used mattress. As professional mattress cleaning, I obviously recommend that you call a pro, in your area. However, I understand that costs can be prohibitive, in the DFW area, a mattress of any size can be cleaned for less than $100.

One thing mentioned above, is the use of a pesticide on a mattress, this a real no no. A pesticide is a poison and no one should have extend exposure to a deliberate toxin. The stuff is designed to kill!

A safer and also economic way the disinfect a mattress, short of a pro, is to use a product called Odoban. It can be found at Home Depot and with the right concentration can kill any virus, bacteria or mildew. The cost is less than $15 a gallon, concentrated.

Simple read the directions and apply with spray bottle. After the proper dwell time and extraction with a small shop vac, it will be sanitized, deodorized and disinfected.

Many people balk at the idea of buying a used mattress but wouldn't hesitate to stay at a hotel and sleep in a bed that hundreds of different unknown people have slept in.

A used mattress in good condition can save you hundreds of dollars and is a perfectly good option for a spare bedroom or for someone in need of a new mattress but is on a tight budget.

While mattresses can be found at places like Salvation Army, I don't recommend this option. Shopping on Craig's List is a better option. You can look up the size you want in a location near where you live by customizing your search. Most listings will include a picture, not that you can tell much about the mattress from a picture but you can tell a bit about the surroundings the mattress lived in. Does the bedroom in the picture seem neat and clean? Then when you go to view the mattress, you can make your own judgments about the cleanliness of the person and home it is coming from.

When you first respond to the ad ask a few important questions. Has it been in a smoke free or pet free home? For many people the answers to these questions can be a deal breaker. Is it stain free? Has it always had a mattress cover on it? How long has the owner had it? What is the brand? Often people need to sell a mattress because they are moving and can't or don't want to take it to their next home. Sometimes the mattress has already been placed in a storage facility and it will be standing on edge when you see it. This is not an ideal situation for a buyer as you will not be able to easily sit or lie on it to feel how firm or soft it is or to tell if there are any depressions.

If you don't have a truck to carry your mattress (and possibly a matching box spring) home, you can often fit these items on the roof rack of a car. Just be sure to cover it for the ride with a tarp or something similar and tie mattress and tarp down extremely well. Highway driving will trap air under that thing and rip it right off if you haven't done a good job. Not only will you have lost your mattress, but you could easily cause a serious accident.

Once you have your purchase back home, cover the floor with a tarp or blanket and lay the mattress down on it. Vacuum both sides extremely well. Use Resolve to remove any spots you see or scuff marks acquired during transport. Spray both surfaces with an anti-bacterial spray like Febreeze, allowing one side to completely dry before flipping it over to spray the other side. If you live in a location where the weather dips below freezing at night, leave the mattress outdoors over night. This will kill any dust mites they may live in the mattress.

Now you are ready to cover your mattress with a good quality mattress cover and dream of ways to spend the hundreds of dollars you saved by buying a previously owned mattress. I can assure you your mattress will be infinitely more sanitary than the bed you slept in at the last hotel you were in.

I've recently spilled black currant juice on my bed and it's now stained. Do you have any tips on how to clean it? Thanks. The picture not very clear, I'm very sorry.

By Andrea D.

How do you disinfect a pillow top mattress?

I am going to buy a used mattress set from the local Goodwill store. I just wondered what is the best way to "clean" this set when I get it? I plan on putting a mattress cover over the mattress once I clean it. However, I do want to sanitize it as much as I can before I do that.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, Cookiepom

Answers:

Cleaning a Used Mattress Set

Please, if there is any way you could buy a new set, that is what I would do. I have a skin disease that no doctor can tell me what it is. There is something out there that you can get it. Is a little like scabies but I don't know if I will ever get rid of it. So think about this before you buy beds, sofas or anything. You can go to http://lymebusters.proboards39.com . Just read what we are going through but you could cover the box springs. Ask them what they use to clean them and maybe you could ask them let you see them spray it. Good luck

By laj52

Cleaning a Used Mattress Set

I agree with laj. Buying used mattresses is almost as bad as buying used undergarments. You don't know who had it before you and by how many. Go to some mattress outlet store, ask if there are any stragglers, mismatches, scratch and dent items. I would not suggest buying a used mattress. Quite honestly, I am surprised that Goodwill or Salvation Army even takes used mattresses.

By KLS8800

Cleaning a Used Mattress Set

Instead of buying the Goodwill mattress, could I make a suggestion? Try your local Rent-a-center type place and ask them about purchasing a mattress set. They generally have many brand new sets to sell and they are very inexpensive. I purchased a twin set for a spare room for less than $50 and it was brand new. It may not be the best quality in the world, but it serves the purpose.

Anyway, the store I bought mine from told me that they keep several sets in stock because they are not allowed to re-rent a set (they must be destroyed.) It's worth a try!

By tammy

Cleaning a Used Mattress Set

Our local Salvation Army sells new mattress sets. Do you have a store near you that you could check out? Our bodies tend to "shape" our mattresses, kind of like shoes, not to mention having to worry about who had the mattress last. I can think of all sorts of reasons I wouldn't want a used mattress, the same reasons that make me bring my own pillow to a hotel room and two blankets (one to sleep on top of and one to have over me!). I just wouldn't risk buying a used one. I don't think there will ever be a way to completely sanitize it.

By washburn6394

Cleaning a Used Mattress Set

By Fen Patrick

Cleaning a Used Mattress Set

In Tarrant/Dallas TX counties, there is a Public Health law that says "any used mattress sets" before they can be sold, they must be sanitized by washing and spraying with a commercial antibacterial cleaning solution.

By oredwine1933