Cleaning a Patent Leather Purse

Category Leather
The shiny finish on patent leather requires some care be taken when cleaning it. This is a guide about cleaning a patent leather purse.

I have a patent leather bag that attracts marks and discoloration just being stored. How can I clean the marks and prevent this from happening in the future?

Thank you.

By carol french from Bonsall, CA

Answers:

Cleaning Patent Leather

Try Vaseline and a soft cloth. Worked for years long ago. Good luck. (12/03/2009)

By Laura Justice

I have marks on my patent leather handbag. I made the mistake of storing it in the closet without a sleeper bag and now it has transfer marks from another (black) bag. I have tried the Magic Eraser, nail polish remover, toothpaste, Goo-Gone, leather cleaner, hand sanitizer, and a Brillo pad. All with no luck. Please help.

By sandy from Harrisburg, PA

Answers:

Cleaning Patent Leather

A Brillo Pad on patent leather? Perhaps try coating the marks with Vaseline and letting it sit for days. Then rub vigorously off. (09/20/2009)

By Sharon Cross

Cleaning Patent Leather

How do I get smudges out of a patent leather designer bag? Any suggestions? Thanks!

By liss

Answers:

Cleaning Patent Leather

Have you tried Vaseline? I used to clean my patent leather shoes with it. Just rub it on, let it set awhile, then wipe it off. (07/10/2009)

By Jill Rue

Cleaning Patent Leather

I was always able to get smudges off of patent leather shoes with fingernail polish remover. You might test it on the purse before putting a lot on it, but it worked wonders on getting black smudges off the shoes. (07/13/2009)

By Crystal

Cleaning Patent Leather

I haven't tried this on patent leather, but I wonder if Goo Gone would work. If you try it, try a small section on the bottom of the bag first. Some people say vegetable oil works as well as Goo Gone. Good Luck! (07/13/2009)

By Peggy Davis

Cleaning Patent Leather

Is that food markings or what? Have you tried just a simple pencil eraser and erase them all away? I do that when black shoe marks get put on our kitchen and bathroom flooring. Good luck and keep us posted on what you end up doing. (07/13/2009)

By Paula Jo C.

Cleaning Patent Leather

I use what the military wives used, Miracle whip. My grandmother shined my grandfather's dress uniform shoes, and she did mine as a little girl. Be careful of solvents, patent leather is man-made and will turn to jelly with most anything but soap and water. (07/13/2009)

By Amy Crowley

Does anybody know how to get stains out of patent leather? I have what appears to be a dye stain from the red trim of my tan handbag.