Cleaning a White Leather Purse

Category Leather
A white leather purse can start to look dirty fairly quickly just from normal usage. This is a guide about cleaning a white leather purse.

I need suggestions for cleaning a white leather bag.

By Susanne

Answers

Try a Mr Clean Magic eraser.

How can I clean my all white leather Coach purse (no C's on it) without darkening the color? It's only a few years old, but it's dingy and looks 10 years old. Please help!

Sabina from Philadelphia, PA

Feedback:

Cleaning a White Leather Purse

I used baby wipes on mine and; was very happy, also on white runners. (07/11/2008)

By melody_yesterday

Cleaning a White Leather Purse

Try using AWESOME it comes in a spray bottle. It cleans about everything even my beige purse, paint on hands, and grass stains. It can be found at the Dollar Store, or Ollies. I use it more than my other cleaners, even spot cleaning stuff spilled on carpets. I know it is the best dollar something I ever spent. Even has the refill you can get. (07/11/2008)

By Joan

Cleaning a White Leather Purse

I use "Saddle Soap" for all my leathers. I believe, I purchased it from a leather saddle shop.

I have had about 5 leather coats and used it on all of them. One of the coats was a beige full length coat. That was very hard to keep clean, for it would get dirty after a few wears.

I would just scrub the soap latter onto a facecloth and scrub like scrubbing a floor. Let me tell you it would get very dirty at times and one could not wear it until it was cleaned. I would lay it flat on the table and it would get pretty wet. Then I would rinse it off with clean water using a facecloth. Then, I would hang it up on a wooden hanger and shape it a little. I would hang it overnight and the coat would be dry the next day, and ready to wear. After it dries it becomes a little stiff, but after a few wears it goes back to being a very soft leather.

Let me tell you I must have cleaned that coat about a dozen times, because it was my favourite, and when it went out of style; I just threw it away, but did keep the belt for other accessories.

Also, after washing it came out looking like it was brand new, and I truly believe that I don't think the cleaners would have gotten it as clean. I believe, all the money I saved from dry cleaning would have bought me a brand new leather coat for sure!

Someone suggested using a conditioner. That probably would be a good thing. I would use it after it would dry, that would probably soften up the leather.

Good luck! I guarantee you a 100% you will be satisfied in your result, and wear that purse forever.

(07/12/2008)

By Suki

Cleaning a White Leather Purse

My mom always used just a tiny bit of Vaseline on a piece of flannel or an old T-shirt to clean out patent-leather shoes. I bet it would also work to clean a patent leather purse:
* Just rub the Vaseline into the patent leather in tiny circles (use only a tiny bit) then take a clean part of the soft cotton rag and buff it till it's clean and shiny.

But if it's real leather, (like your purse is), then I'd treat it like leather shoes and use a quality tennis shoe cleaner and maybe even a white shoe polish if it does darken. This shoe polish also comes in an ivory color and can hide a multitude of "sins". Just use it sparingly and buff it to a sheen. Better yet, go into a store that sells quality leathers or athletic shoes or e-mail the company that makes your purse and ask them.

I revived a nasty old and cracked leather jacket for my old boyfriend and it looked like new! All it took was some black shoe polish and a bit of TLC, some elbow grease and it looked just like new when I finished. He couldn't believe how good it looked, as he was going to throw it away! But before you use the shoe polish, wipe it down with a non-oily baby wipe first.

Another idea: Go into a Western Wear store and ask them. They sell all kinds of leather cleaners (for dress cowboy boots and fancy horse saddles).

For old and cracked leather you can uses "Hair Serum" like CitreShine hair serum (for frizzy hair). The first several ingredients listed should be dimethicone or another silicone type product. Make sure it says "Hair Serum" and not "Hair Laminator". This silicone based product will put back the suppleness into the leather. Just wipe a tiny bit on with a soft cloth and buff it off. But any leather product like mink oil should be kept away from the seams because it can make the thread in the seams break down quicker. Especially if the thread is made from cotton. When you hear that mink oil is bad for leather, that isn't true. It's not bad for the leather, but is actually bad for the seams that hold the garment together. (07/12/2008)

By Cyinda

Cleaning a White Leather Purse

I have all leather furniture, three dogs, a cat, a bunny, and 7 grandchildren, so needless to say, I wash my furniture once a week.
The best thing I have found that works on the furniture is simple soap and water! I have used leather cleaners, other cleaners that swear they work on leather, but with today's prices, I try to be as frugal as possible. So the only cleaner I use is Sunlight dish soap.
I fill my cleaning bucket with dish washing soap and hot water,and wipe the furniture.
You might want to try this tip with a splash of Clorox in the water to bring your purse back to sparkling!
(07/13/2008)

By grandma of 5

Cleaning a White Leather Purse

Awesome with bleach works really well on cleaning the stains on my white soft leather bag. Spray some on the inside of the bag to test before using that for the exterior. Use a soft cloth to wipe. The only thing is it doesn't remove scuff marks. (05/24/2009)

By luvspicytuna

How do I clean my white coach bag? I have a white leather coach bag and is dirty and it looks real bad. I have used all kinds of cleaning stuff and nothing works. Maybe you can help me.

Eliza from Trenton, NJ

Answers:

Cleaning a White Leather Purse

You might try saddle soap. It is usually found with the solid shoe polish. Follow the directions on the can. I have cleaned many leather objects using saddle soap with great success. (06/26/2008)

By Mary

Cleaning a White Leather Purse

Coach makes a specific leather cleaner and conditioner for their products. I found mine on e-bay cheaper than going through Coach. All fine leather goods should be conditioned at least once every two years. (06/27/2008)

By ggmsmolly

Cleaning a White Leather Purse

Did you try Mr. Clean Magic Eraser? That stuff cleans so many things. (06/29/2008)

By JoJo1118