Repair AdviceCars

Clicking Noise in a 1994 Saturn SC2

I bought this Saturn and the battery has gone dead twice, when that happened a clicking noise started coming from under the middle console. The person I bought the car from says it's because the battery is low? This doesn't make sense to me, no juice, no sound; you would think? Any help most appreciated. The car manual has no explanation. Thanks.

By SharonH

Are you sure about the location of the sound? I have had this problem with other cars and it was the starter solenoid (not sure of the spelling). I would check this first, given the age of the car.

The battery is not completely dead. The clicking is the starter solenoid. You need a new battery.

Earlier posters are correct. If your battery has gone dead twice it could be because the life of the battery is at its end and won't hold a charge or if it is a fairly new battery you have other issues as to why the battery is being drained of its charge.