Cranberry Apple Cornish Hens
These sweet and savory cranberry apple Cornish hens are delectable. Serve on a bed of long grain and wild rice. The recipe and ingredients follow.
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
Adding a sweet and sour element to savoury roasted Cornish game hens is divine! Stuffing them with fresh cranberries and chopped apples gives them great flavour and also makes them extra juicy. It also makes a lovely presentation at the table.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Yield: 2 servings
- 2 Cornish hens
- salt and pepper
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 apple, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup cranberries, chopped
- 2 tsp dried rosemary
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 servings wild rice
- 2 Tbsp slivered almonds
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Pay dry hens and season with some salt and pepper all over, then sprinkle on garlic powder. Set aside 2 tablespoons of the chopped apples for later. Mix the bulk of the chopped apples, cranberries, rosemary and 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a small bowl.
- Spoon the cranberry apple mixture into the cavities of the Cornish hens.
- Place hens in a baking pan and drizzle with remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Roast for about 1 hour, until exterior is browned and crisp. I pulled mine at about 170F when thermometer was inserted into the thigh.
- I use instant wild rice as it always comes out perfect (and it's so fast). Cook and mix with the reserved 2 tablespoons of chopped apple. Stir in slivered almonds.
- Place roasted hens on wild rice and drizzle on some of the cranberry apple mixture from the cavities.