Cornish Game Hen Recipes

Category Poultry
These diminutive hens are the perfect single serving size. This page contains Cornish game hen recipes.

I love serving Cornish game hens because each person can have their own, with all the cuts. The meat and veggies are all cooked in the same pan and lend flavours to each other. The wild rice is boosted by the great texture of almonds and walnuts, while sweetened and softened by chopped dates. I consider this the best date-night meal!

Prep Time: 20 minutes

Cook Time: 50 minutes

Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes

Yield: 2-3 servings

• 2 carrots, chopped
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 4 baby potatoes, quartered
  • 8 pearl onions
  • 6 mini peppers, tops removed
  • 2 tsp oil
  • salt and pepper
  • 2 Cornish game hens
  • 2 tsp butter
  • 4 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 lemon, quartered
  • 3 tsp dried rosemary
  • 1 box (4oz) wild rice
  • 1/3 cup almonds and walnuts, chopped
  • 4 large dates, chopped

1. Preheat oven to 450 F. In a deep baking pan, toss chopped veggies in 2 teaspoons of oil and sprinkle with some salt and pepper.
  2. Pat the hens dry. Salt and pepper the inside cavity. Stuff with 2 lemon quarters each. I placed the green tops from my carrots inside, but you can use something like parsley, if desired.
  3. Lift up the skin on each breast and add some butter and a few of the garlic slices.
  4. Place the hens in the baking dish in the middle of the vegetables. Sprinkle all over with salt, pepper, rosemary, and the rest of the garlic. Place in preheated oven and roast for 25 minutes.
  5. Reduce oven temperature to 350 F. Take out the baking pan and drizzle some of the developed juices over everything. Return to oven and roast another 25 minutes or so, until skin is browned and inside temperature registers at 165 F.
  6. While hens are roasting, begin cooking wild rice as per box directions.
  7. Remove rice from heat 10 minutes early to add chopped nuts and dates. Return to heat to finish cooking until all liquid is absorbed and nuts are tender.
  8. Place a hen on each plate, add vegetables and rice, then drizzle some of the pan juices over top.

This is a recipe for 2 but we always have quite a bit of everything left over. I use the leftovers the next morning in a scramble and it is awesome!

This is a nice twist on roasted hens featuring lovely flavours from Cuba! The hens will sit in the marinade for about 4 hours, infusing the awesome spices and making the meat super tender.

Baking them on a bed of sliced onions also provides great flavour, and makes a great onion topping once finished. I love these hens alongside roasted veggies and rice. Enjoy!

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Rub hens with 1 Tbsp. of the olive oil. Lightly season hens with salt and pepper. Place 1 lemon wedge and 1 sprig of rosemary in cavity of each hen.

Just 2 ingredients, for some easy, quick 'Chicken' and Stuffing'. Mix contents of stuffing box with amount of water given in directions.

Stuff both hens, should have some left over, spoon into corner of baking pan or put in separate pan.

This is a great recipe for an intimate dinner for two.

Is it feasible to cook one Cornish game hen in a small crock pot? I've decided to be alone with my 4 pups, for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners. I'm just not interested in cooking a turkey or chicken either time. Thanks so much.

JoanDogs

Answers

By jean (Guest Post)

Yes, it is feasible. Try googling "crock pot Cornish game hen recipes for one" as your search term.

I got a lot of recipes doing this.

I guess it's feasible, but they only take 60 mins. or so to cook in the oven & come out so good--just baste frequently w/butter or oil for a nice crispy skin. Either way, Happy Thanksgiving!

Pick out a nice big hen.
Cut up about three potatoes and cube them into the pot too.
One small diced onion, and some green pepper if you want it.
Garlic salt, celery salt, and some sage or poultry seasoning to your liking.
One small can of diced tomatoes.
And lastly, three good pats of butter or margarine.
Cook till the taters are done and yummy!!
Here's to hoping alone doesn't mean lonely, cheers!

Thanks so much for the replies! Found several recipes by googling and my hen is cooking nicely.

By anna (Guest Post)

I would do it. Put potatoes onions carrots celery & being a apple person I wold put them in there too.Yum

Preparing Cornish game hens in the oven is simple if you follow the steps in this recipe. Enjoy some for your next special dinner. This is a guide about oven baked game hens.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 1