Cornish Game Hen Recipes

Category Poultry
These diminutive hens are the perfect single serving size. This page contains Cornish game hen recipes.

Serves: 4

Directions:

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Rub hens with 1 Tbsp. of the olive oil. Lightly season hens with salt and pepper. Place 1 lemon wedge and 1 sprig of rosemary in cavity of each hen. Arrange in a large heavy roasting pan, arrange garlic cloves around hens. Roast in preheated oven for 25 minutes.

Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F. In mixing bowl, whisk together wine, chicken broth and remaining 2 Tbsp. of oil, pour over hens. Continue roasting for abut 25 minutes longer, or until hens are golden brown and juices run clear. Baste with pan juices every 10 minutes.

Transfer hens to a platter, pouring cavity juices and garlic into roasting pan. Tent hens with aluminum foil to keep warm. Transfer pan juices and garlic cloves to a medium saucepan and boil until liquids reduce to a sauce consistency, about 6 minutes.

Cut hens in half lengthwise and arrange on plates. Spoon sauce and garlic around hens . Garnish with Rosemary sprigs and serve.

By Patricia Ralston from Houston, TX

Preparing Cornish game hens in the oven is simple if you follow the steps in this recipe. Enjoy some for your next special dinner. This is a guide about oven baked game hens.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 1

Just 2 ingredients, for some easy, quick 'Chicken' and Stuffing'.

Directions:

Mix contents of stuffing box with amount of water given in directions. Stuff both hens, should have some left over, spoon into corner of baking pan or put in separate pan.

Bake at 350 degrees F. for 45 minutes to 1 hour. I did mine for an hour in pan with lid, so it did not 'brown'. If you do not use lid, watch and remove when brown enough for you.

I made two because of the amount of stuffing involved. I put one hen in container and put in refrigerator for later in the week. One is for that days dinner. One hen has enough meat for that meal and can save some for a sandwich later on. Add a salad to complete a good nutritious meal.

I could maybe have done three hens, saved one and froze one.

Servings: 2 - 4
Time:10 Minutes Preparation Time
45 to 60 Minutes Cooking Time

Source: My own idea.

By Linda from Bloomington, IL from Bloomington, IL

This is a great recipe for an intimate dinner for two.

Is it feasible to cook one Cornish game hen in a small crock pot? I've decided to be alone with my 4 pups, for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners. I'm just not interested in cooking a turkey or chicken either time. Thanks so much.

JoanDogs

Answers

By jean (Guest Post)

Yes, it is feasible. Try googling "crock pot Cornish game hen recipes for one" as your search term. I got a lot of recipes doing this.

I guess it's feasible, but they only take 60 mins. or so to cook in the oven & come out so good--just baste frequently w/butter or oil for a nice crispy skin. Either way, Happy Thanksgiving!

Pick out a nice big hen.
Cut up about three potatoes and cube them into the pot too.
One small diced onion, and some green pepper if you want it.
Garlic salt, celery salt, and some sage or poultry seasoning to your liking.
One small can of diced tomatoes.

And lastly, three good pats of butter or margarine.
Cook till the taters are done and yummy!!
Here's to hoping alone doesn't mean lonely, cheers!

Thanks so much for the replies! Found several recipes by googling and my hen is cooking nicely.

By anna (Guest Post)

I would do it. Put potatoes onions carrots celery & being a apple person I wold put them in there too.Yum