Cornish Game Hens with Wild Rice

I love serving Cornish game hens because each person can have their own, with all the cuts. The meat and veggies are all cooked in the same pan and lend flavours to each other. The wild rice is boosted by the great texture of almonds and walnuts, while sweetened and softened by chopped dates. I consider this the best date-night meal!

Prep Time: 20 minutes

Cook Time: 50 minutes

Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes

Yield: 2-3 servings

1. Preheat oven to 450 F. In a deep baking pan, toss chopped veggies in 2 teaspoons of oil and sprinkle with some salt and pepper.
  2. Pat the hens dry. Salt and pepper the inside cavity. Stuff with 2 lemon quarters each. I placed the green tops from my carrots inside, but you can use something like parsley, if desired.
  3. Lift up the skin on each breast and add some butter and a few of the garlic slices.
  4. Place the hens in the baking dish in the middle of the vegetables. Sprinkle all over with salt, pepper, rosemary, and the rest of the garlic. Place in preheated oven and roast for 25 minutes.
  5. Reduce oven temperature to 350 F. Take out the baking pan and drizzle some of the developed juices over everything. Return to oven and roast another 25 minutes or so, until skin is browned and inside temperature registers at 165 F.
  6. While hens are roasting, begin cooking wild rice as per box directions.
  7. Remove rice from heat 10 minutes early to add chopped nuts and dates. Return to heat to finish cooking until all liquid is absorbed and nuts are tender.
  8. Place a hen on each plate, add vegetables and rice, then drizzle some of the pan juices over top.

This is a recipe for 2 but we always have quite a bit of everything left over. I use the leftovers the next morning in a scramble and it is awesome!

I think this would go well with quail too, 1 or 2 per plate, depending on the appetite of the person being served. Here in SW Ontario, the quail is sold 6 per package. They're a little picky to eat but they're so.o.o.o. good!

I've only had quail twice; once in Oregon and once in France on my honeymoon. Loved it! Haven't seen it where I live unfortunately.

In These Pages
Food and Recipes Recipes Main DishesFebruary 14, 2019
👒
🐛
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Cornish-Game-Hens-with-Wild-Rice.html