Recipes Using Wild Rice
Although both wild and white rice are the seeds of different aquatic grasses, wild rice contains more protein and nutrients, making it a healthier choice. It has a nutty flavor and works in all sorts of soups, stews and casseroles.
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
Read More Comments
I love serving Cornish game hens because each person can have their own, with all the cuts. The meat and veggies are all cooked in the same pan and lend flavours to each other. The wild rice is boosted by the great texture of almonds and walnuts, while sweetened and softened by chopped dates. I consider this the best date-night meal!
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Yield: 2-3 servings
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 baby potatoes, quartered
- 8 pearl onions
- 6 mini peppers, tops removed
- 2 tsp oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 Cornish game hens
- 2 tsp butter
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 3 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 box (4oz) wild rice
- 1/3 cup almonds and walnuts, chopped
- 4 large dates, chopped
- Preheat oven to 450 F. In a deep baking pan, toss chopped veggies in 2 teaspoons of oil and sprinkle with some salt and pepper.
- Pat the hens dry. Salt and pepper the inside cavity. Stuff with 2 lemon quarters each. I placed the green tops from my carrots inside, but you can use something like parsley, if desired.
- Lift up the skin on each breast and add some butter and a few of the garlic slices.
- Place the hens in the baking dish in the middle of the vegetables. Sprinkle all over with salt, pepper, rosemary, and the rest of the garlic. Place in preheated oven and roast for 25 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 F. Take out the baking pan and drizzle some of the developed juices over everything. Return to oven and roast another 25 minutes or so, until skin is browned and inside temperature registers at 165 F.
- While hens are roasting, begin cooking wild rice as per box directions.
- Remove rice from heat 10 minutes early to add chopped nuts and dates. Return to heat to finish cooking until all liquid is absorbed and nuts are tender.
- Place a hen on each plate, add vegetables and rice, then drizzle some of the pan juices over top.
This is a recipe for 2 but we always have quite a bit of everything left over. I use the leftovers the next morning in a scramble and it is awesome!
Mix soups together. Add water, milk, butter, mushrooms and rice. Add only 1 Tbsp. of seasoning that comes with rice. Pour mixture into 9x13 inch pan.Read More...
Rinse rice under cold water. Bring chicken stock to a boil; add rice and simmer uncovered for 45 minutes or until tender. Add remaining ingredients and toss.Read More...
In hot butter in large skillet, saute' chicken livers until tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside. Cook bacon for 5 minutes. Add shallots and celery and cook 5 minutes longer, stirring occasionally.Read More...
This simple recipe makes a a delicious and healthy side dish for any meal.Read More...
Wash and gently boil the 1/2 cup rice for 40 minutes. Drain. Mix with other ingredients, dot generously with butter and bake at 325 degrees F for 40 minutes.
This page contains wild rice patty recipes. These crunchy fried patties make a delicious meat-free entree.
Wild rice, actually a grass, was a staple in the diet of the Sioux and Chippewa tribes. This page contains wild rice soup recipes.
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2021 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.