Classic Potato Salad Recipes

Category Potato
There are many variations on the preparation of potato salad. Some have egg or mustard while others do not. This page contains classic potato salad recipes.

This is an old family recipe and might take a little longer to prepare than some of the quicker ones today, but you sure will enjoy the difference. It's easy enough, so just have fun making and sharing it with those you love most.

• 8-10 eggs (hardboiled, peeled, and chopped)
  • 5 lbs. new red potatoes
  • 1 Tbsp. salt for boiling potatoes
  • 1/2 cup sweet pickle juice
  • 1/2 cup yellow Ballpark mustard
  • 1/2 cup Hellmann's mayonnaise
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1/2 tsp. celery seed, or to taste
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. black pepper
  • 1/2 cup red onion, finely chopped
  • 1/2 cup celery, finely chopped
  • 1/2 cup sweet pickle cubes
  • 1/2 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped

Directions:

You can boil and peel the eggs the day before if you like, but I boil mine at the same time the potatoes are boiling so that the eggs are still slightly warm when I add the dressing. Just as the potatoes do, the eggs absorb so much more flavor when they are warm.

Wash potatoes very well and trim them if necessary. I scrape all the skin off mine with a teaspoon, but you can leave the skin on if you want to, providing the potatoes are really small and the skin isn't going to be tough. I would still trim out the eyes and any spots on the potatoes.

Add potatoes to a large pot and cover with cold water. Add 1 Tbsp. salt, cover them, and bring them to a brisk boil. You need to watch them as they will boil over if you don't.

When they start to boil, lower the temperature, replace the lid on the pot, and simmer until potatoes are tender. Remove from burner and drain the potatoes, saving the cooking water to make yeast breads or to cook another vegetable like green beans or broccoli, peas, or carrots.

Put potatoes back into the cooking pot and let them sit on the stove top while you peel the boiled eggs if you haven't already done them.

Chop the eggs up until the white pieces are very small. Chop the potatoes into small bite-sized pieces and add potatoes and chopped eggs to a large mixing bowl.

In a smaller bowl, mix sweet pickle juice, mayonnaise, sour cream, yellow mustard, salt, pepper, and celery seeds together and pour over the potatoes and eggs while they are still warm. I repeat, the eggs and potatoes will absorb the flavors so much better when they're still a bit warm.

Stir to mix the dressing in very well, Cover and let them sit while you chop and measure out everything else. Mix it all in a bowl large enough to hold everything before adding the mixture to the potatoes and eggs.

Gently stir everything together, then cover and refrigerate until time to serve. If you have the means to do so at the serving site, keep it as cold as possible, because your salad has eggs and mayonnaise in it, and either can go bad almost before you know it.

Cover and refrigerate all leftovers. It's even better the next day, and because it is, I will often make it the day before anyway. It's nice and cold then and full of the best flavor.

Source: This is the same recipe that my favorite aunt always made for our family get-togethers. I never eat potato salad anywhere that I don't think of her, and how sweet and loving she was to everyone.

By Julia from Boca Raton, FL

Top Comment

Yum! This sounds so good, my stomach is growling! I was just asking my mom to remind me how she always made hers because I want to make it for my kids. I used to make it, but I've been so lazy about buying it, my 13 year old has never had it homemade & doesn't know what he's missing! And I forgot everything myself!Neither of us ever measured the ingredients for the dressing either, so you've given me a good basis to go on - and I like the idea of the sour cream,bet it tastes better!

Your recipe sounds very similar to my mom's, except she didn't use sour cream & she added dill pickle juice to help thin out the dressing. I always thought it was odd that she used sweet pickle relish, but added dill pickle juice, but she said it helped cut the sweetness of the relish. When I asked her why she didn't just add more mustard, she said she like the taste of the dill juice better!

Potato salad is a classic picnic and party dish. Learn how to make a good ol' Old Fashioned Potato Salad in this guide.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Mix Miracle Whip, mustard, celery seed, salt and pepper. Add remaining ingredients; mix lightly.