Mashed Potato Salad

Category Potato
The texture of this salad may not be to everyone's liking, but it is a delicious alternative to the traditional chunky potato salad. This is a guide about mashed potato salad.

Recently while I was at a party, I had mashed potato salad. It was delicious. The potatoes weren't completely mashed, but had chunky pieces in it. There were diced onions, red bell peppers, and hard boiled eggs in the salad. Those are the only ingredients that I recognized.

I don't think it had mayonnaise in it, but I'm not sure. The potato salad looked plain except for the red pepper, but it was so good. It was not store bought, but homemade.

I asked for the recipe but the person who made it didn't seem like she wanted to share it. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I would appreciate it if someone would share this recipe. Thank you.

By it's.only.me from PA

Top Comment

Growing up, my Mom always made mashed potato salad and it does have mayonnaise in it. It's actually pretty much the same as chunk potato salad but using cold mashed potatoes.

We always put diced pickles (your choice of sweet or dill or both), chopped onion, pieces of pimento and sliced olives if you like....oh yes and a little mustard mixed in with the mayo....stir, chill and serve.

Top Comment

Mashed Potato Salad
45 min | 15 min prep
Serves 8

* 5 medium potatoes
* 1/2 cup sweet relish
* 1 tablespoon vinegar
* 2 tablespoons sugar
* 1 cup Miracle Whip
* 1 small onion, chopped
* 1/2 cup celery, chopped
* salt and pepper
* 5 hard-boiled eggs, chopped

1. Peel cut and cook potatoes as for mashed potatoes.
2. When done drain well, mash.
3. Add relish, chopped onion, celery, salt and pepper.
4. In small bowl mix vinegar and sugar, mix until sugar is dissolved, add Miracle whip and mix well.

5. Pour into mashed potatoes, mix throughly If the potatoes seem too dry add more Miracle whip.
6. Fold in eggs.
7. Refrigerate overnight.

Anonymous
Top Comment

In stead of Mayo I use fresh made Original Ranch Dressing it is lighter but tastes so good
Potato salad is Good anyway you want to make it.
Grated or Mashed Or the chunk style
It is what is add to the Potatoes that count.
Mashed Potato Salad Recipe
By Nolnie (1)

Mashed Potato Salad
45 min | 15 min prep
Serves 8

* 5 medium potatoes
* 1/2 cup sweet relish
* 1 tablespoon vinegar (I use lemon Juice)
* 2 tablespoons sugar
* 1 cup Miracle Whip ( Ranch Dressing)
* 1 small onion, chopped
* 1/2 cup celery, chopped
* salt and pepper
* 5 hard-boiled eggs, chopped

Got some leftover mashed potatoes in the fridge? Add one raw egg per serving, stir it up, and microwave about 1:20 per egg (the time will depend on your microwave - stir at least once per minute of cook time).

Add one teaspoon of sweet relish and one tablespoon of mayonnaise or salad dressing per serving and mix it up.

Quick and easy!

By Auriette L.