Creating a Shady Woodland Garden

Category Landscaping
Planting trees and shrubs can help you create a sheltered garden space. This guide is about creating a shady woodland garden.

How can I transition a 1.5 acre lawn planted in grass and a few trees into a more shaded woodland or garden look without spending a fortune. The septic drain field is front and center. The front yard is a hill.

By Jennifer from Hickory, NC

Answers

Contact your County Extention office. They will have lots of information on plants and trees for your area. Also, you can get these items and a very low cost.

I go to yard sales, flea markets and have picked up some great plants real cheap! For privacy around our property I got some fast growing Leyland pines. They are very easy to take care of and grow really fast. We have a arboretum (sp?) that gives some native plants away. Also Lowes stores during there season and at the end of the season they have plants really cheap that they have not taken care of and look terrible! With a little water and patience for the next year they are beautiful again! Good Luck and most of all have fun doing it!

It's a Shady Subject! Creating a Woodland Garden.
Do you have large mature trees in your yard? Have you tried to grow a lawn in the shade of those spreading branches? For years I tried to make grass grow in the deep shadows of the mature trees in our backyard.

After spending too much money on "specialized blends" of grass seed and hours of work, I heard my yard say, "Don't fight me, work with me!" I decided to turn that corner of the yard into a woodland garden. For more info search for" Turning Grass Yard into Shaded Woodland",lot of info there, good luck.