This is a silky, soft custard pudding. Baking it in a water bath in a ramekin lined with caramel sauce makes for a luxurious treat. It may seem daunting to put together, but it's actually quite simple. You can also use this recipe to make small versions of this pudding inside of mini ramekins.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Yield: 8 servings
- 2 1/2 cup milk
- 1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 8 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- Preheat oven to 300 F. Whisk eggs in a large bowl. In a pot over medium-high heat, bring the milk and sweetened condensed milk to a boil. Add sugar and stir until completely dissolved. Remove from heat.
- In a slow stream, pour milk mixture into eggs while whisking. Pour just a bit at a time to temper the eggs.
- Mix in the vanilla.
- To make the caramel, bring water and sugar to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Stop cooking when it's reached a nice caramel colour.
- Pour caramel sauce into the bottom of a deep ramekin and swirl around.
- Pour custard mixture into the ramekin. Place ramekin in a roasting pan. Fill roasting pan with enough hot water to go halfway up the ramekin.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes, until a knife inserted in center comes out clean. Hit the sides of the ramekin with the palm of your hand to loosen it up, then flip over onto a large serving dish.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!