Cutout "MOM" Card for Mother's Day

I made my mom this Mother's Day card. It is simple yet sweet because it's handmade. My mom isn't a fan of "real cut flowers", so I thought it would be cute to decorate this card with a flower/floral motif from a Macy's catalog that I was about to toss out anyway!

This is a fun and different way of making a greeting card. You can apply this same concept to a birthday card and cut out the recipient's name if it isn't too long, or use for Father's Day, and cut out "Dad".

Total Time: 30-45 minutes

1. Fold paper in half (hamburger style).
  2. Figure out how big you want your card to be.
  3. The word/name needs to be drawn from the fold. For the "o" in mom, I wanted a heart shape, so I traced a heart shape as the center piece. The I wrote the word out as a guideline.
  4. Shade the areas to be cut away with a pencil. Now cut out the shaded area.
  5. Ready to sketch your letter M and then cut out.
  6. To get the other M the exact same shape and size, fold the paper in half and trace.
  7. Repeat same process for the top of the M.
  8. Now that you have your stencil, you can trace onto cardstock paper and cut out.
  9. Flip through any magazine or catalog (I used the Macy's Mother's Day catalog) and cut pictures or words of what you want on the card. I cut out floral/flower prints.
  10. You are ready to glue down floral/flower magazine clippings all around the front of your card.
  11. Flip the card around and cut off excess of the magazine clippings.
  12. For a finishing touch, add the heart in the center (I used a heart paper puncher). Use a glue stick to adhere the heart in place on the front of the card. Then you are ready to write your message on the inside of the card.

Wow! I love it. The paper layout reminds me of a patchwork quilt. Beautiful.

You are right! The paper arrangement turned out to look like a patchwork quilt. :)