DIY Bamboo Garden Gate
Bronze Post Medal for All Time! 105 Posts
October 10, 2019
I live on a small island in the South Pacific, where everything is imported. We do not have a large variety of items to choose from. Years ago when we wanted to put a gate up all we had to choose from was a metal gate. The gate has been up for over 20 years now and is looking shabby and worn.
My husband needed to make the gate taller so the dogs could not jump over the gate and get out of the yard. He ended up soldering on some metal supports and just adding some more medal fencing material to the top of the gate. The fencing material he used was not the same as the original gate and over time became dangerous and you could cut yourself on the metal when you opened and closed the gate. I decided it was time to fix the gate and give the garden more of a tropical look.
Total Time: 4 Hours
- 150 small bamboo poles, actual number will depend on size of gate
- 400 plastic tie wraps, actual number with vary on number of bamboo poles used
- garden shears
- Place a bamboo pole on the gate and use your garden shears to cut off the excess amount. I have placed the poles vertically to cover the gate fencing.
- Take a cable tie and start to attach the bamboo pole to the metal fencing. Secure the tie to hold it in place. You will need 3 to 4 ties for each piece of bamboo you have attached to the gate. Cable ties work great in the topics and are easy to use to attach the bamboo to a fence.
- With your garden shears, you can trim off the excess cable tie.
- Use the remainder of the pole to attach to the top of the gate. You will need to attach the pole on all the extensions. Cut off the remainder of the pole when you finish attaching it horizontally to the gate.
- Continue placing the poles on the gate and attaching them to the wire. I started at the bottom and worked my way to the top of the gate.
- When I was finished, I decided to add the rest of the bamboo poles to the side of the gate to create a small fenced area to add to the look of the gate. When I was done I just added some rocks at the bottom of the bamboo poles to hold them in place and add to the look of the garden.
- Depending on the size of the gate and if you want to add more bamboo it can take between 75 to 150 pieces. I said to use 400 cable ties, but I did not use that many. This will also depend on the size of your gate and how many ties you use to secure the bamboo poles to the fencing.
CommentsRead More Comments
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2022 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.