PaperCrafts

DIY Lollipop Paper Quilling Tool

I haven't seen anyone do this before so I'm really quite proud of my thrifty innovation. I love quilled paper crafts, but I hate sitting there, rolling paper into swirls for hours on end. Here is how to make a a paper quilling tool out of a lollipop, where one end grabs the paper, and the other helps you spin the paper much faster.

If you don't have a hot knife tool, you can carefully heat up an X-acto knife (wear heat safe gloves). Alternatively, you could use a plastic stemmed cotton swab instead of a lollipop and carefully split one end with small scissors.

Total Time: 5 minutes

Yield: 1 quilling tool

1. Heat up the hot knife tool, then very carefully press at the midpoint of the end of the lollipop stick. Press in very slowly so it splits evenly. Don't go further than half an inch.
  2. Let the lollipop stick cool back up before using. Place the end of a strip of paper into the slit you made, then pull it back so there is no overhang. (Overhang will result in a square end to a paper swirl.)
  3. Use the candy end of the lollipop to get a firm grip to spin it around.
  4. Use your other hand to get a pretty firm grip on the paper, squeezing it onto the lollipop stick.
  5. When you get to the end, squeeze firmly, then let go. Wiggle the paper and it will come right off in a perfect swirl.