Making a Paper Mache Hot Air Balloon
You can make a cute little paper mache hot air balloon with just newspaper strips, flour, water, paints, and an inflated balloon. This page is about making a paper mache hot air balloon
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
Here is how you can make a cute paper mache hot air balloon that costs pennies to make.
Total Time: 1 day for drying
- bowl (preferably metal)
- paper cup or mini cardboard box
- something to poke a hole
- paper clip
- cooking pot to hold balloon
- Gather supplies. Find a place you can work. Inflate balloon. Tear newspaper into strips of small square/circle like pieces. Don't go too big or too small.
- Get a cup of flour and a mix with a cup of very warm water. Mix and stir until it is a paste. It should be the consistency of pancake batter.
- Place balloon on pot. Apply paste over balloon. Paste newspaper all the way around.
Leave the space bare where the knot is. Don't leave to dry in pot or it will stick.
- Once finished, place balloon to dry completely in a warm place preferably in the sun. If it is not dried completely with heat and painted, it will rot. Depending on the temperature it will take a while to dry. Once dried completely go ahead and pop the balloon and unstick slowly.
- Gather your paints and paint as you wish. Paint you paper cup like a basket or use any other thing that you have that is light.
- Poke a hole on top. Thread a button and run it through hole. Tie a knot to paper clip to hang on hook.
- Poke four holes at base of balloon. Do the same for top of basket. Cut threads, tie knots, and attach.
- Lastly you can add some paper people or cut one out from a magazine. I put Woody from Toy Story in there. ;)