DIY Moldable Silicone Clay

Category Miscellaneous
By mixing silicone caulk and corn starch you can create a flexible clay substance that has lots of uses including holding wires in place. This page contains information about making moldable silicone clay.

Moldable silicone clay is an absolute game changer for DIY types and craft fanatics. It's basically a putty you mold into any shape, let dry, and it stays put, but is 100% flexible. I used to spend about $20 for a tiny pack of the leading brand of silicone clay called Sugru, but now I make my own with two ingredients.

This silicone clay is great for repairing bad wires, fixing broken glasses, making bumpers for your electronic devices, and so much more. In this page, I repaired my frayed iPhone charger and made a pen grip for my refrigerator.

Total Time: 15 minutes

• silicone caulk
  • corn starch
  • caulking gun
  • mixing cup
  • stick for mixing

1. Put the tube of caulk in the caulking gun.
  2. In the mixing cup, squeeze in one part caulk to one part corn starch. Doing equal amounts gives you about 5 minutes of pliable time before it begins to set. If you want it to set faster, add more corn starch.
  3. Keep mixing the two ingredients thoroughly. It will start looking like cake frosting.
  4. Keep mixing. When it starts holding shape nicely on its own, its ready to mold into your useful shapes.
  5. Squeeze onto whatever you are repairing or creating. Let sit for 10 to 20 minutes to set up.

(I live in warm California and that's how long it takes for mine. It could possibly take longer in cooler temperatures or if you use a slower set method with less corn starch.)
  6. Your item is ready to use and totally flexible.

This is excellent! Sugru is so useful and yet so expensive...This is wonderful news!

I wholeheartedly agree. I used to spend so much on that stuff. Please try this! :)

Anonymous

Very interesting. I'm going to save this tip. There must be hundreds of ways to use this 'clay' around the house.

There are. It's so awesome because it's flexible yet stays put and doesn't crack or break.

I'm just in love with it. :)

Make Your Own MiscellaneousAugust 6, 2019
📓
🐛
😎
🌻