DIY Staghorn Fern Mount

Staghorn ferns are a beautiful air purifying plant and with this DIY mount, it doubles as a nice piece of wall decor art. This is an easy to make mount that looks expensive, but can be made for fractions less than buying one online/retail stores.

Tip: Square wood pallet plaque purchased from Michael's reg. $4 (good deal already), but there are always 50% or 60% off coupons to score additional savings! I waited until I could get it for 60% off, so it was only $1.60!

I bought the staghorn plant at a local nursery for only $4.20 with a coupon.

Since I had some supplies already at home, this project cost me less than $6 to make compared to $40-50.

1. Trace a circular object (bowl) in the center of a square wood pallet.
  2. Hammer nails around the circle, I used 6 nails.
  3. Lay some soil in the circle you just drew.
  4. Remove your staghorn fern from its pot, then loosen some of the roots and keep only some of its original soil.
  5. Grab a handful of sphagnum moss and hydrate in water.
  6. Pack moss all around covering the soil.
  7. It is time to secure fishing line to a nail and wrap all around to keep staghorn fern in place. Tie off the line and cut any excess. (Another string alternative: twine).
  8. Ready to hang!
  9. Ad