PartyCrafts

DIY Unicorn Headband

My best friend was having a unicorn themed birthday party, but could not find unicorn horn headbands anywhere! I went out to look for some for her and found they were all terrible plastic pieces of junk. I decided to make some for her. She loved them so much, she actually squealed. Success!

Total Time: 1 hour

Yield: 1 unicorn headband

1. I used a 35 cent headband that had flowers on it so I removed the flowers in order to have a plain plastic headband. Start by cutting your white felt or fleece into 1 inch wide strips. I used 1 inch wide by 20 inches in length. Dab some hot glue on the inside bottom of the headband leaving some overhang. Start wrapping the material around the headband, overlapping the layers, securing with hot glue here and there along the way. When the headband is completely wrapped, fold the ends up to the inside edges and secure with hot glue.
  2. Cut a piece of your scrap paper so it is 5 inches by 5 inches. Cut one end so it is rounded, then cut the sides off to create a cone, but with a flat top, not a point, as shown in this image. This will be the pattern for your horn.
  3. Ad

4. Place the pattern over your white felt and cut out the horn. Beginning at one side, roll the material toward the opposite side to form a horn shape, then sew it shut. You will have a hollow horn.
  5. Fill the horn with the stuffing. Be sure to fill all the way to the top of the horn.
  6. Ad

7. At the top of the horn, stitch on some gold cord. Start wrapping the horn with the cord all the way down in a spiral motion. Every now and then, secure the cord on the seam with a stitch to keep it in place. I pulled the cord rather tight to make the horn look pillowy!
  8. Prop your horn up onto a piece of white felt and trace a circle to cut out. Sew this circle to the bottom of your horn to close it up.
  9. Ad

10. Start sewing the horn onto the headband with needle and thread through both sides of the base. I went through many times to make sure it stayed put. Cut out a piece of felt in an oval shape and hot glue it to the area where the thread is exposed to keep it hidden and safe from unraveling against your head.
  11. Draw a 2 1/2 inch tall ear shape onto a piece of paper. Fold the paper in half at the base of the ear, leaving about 1/4-inch between the bottom of the ear drawing and the fold. Cut out the ear shape and unfold. Trace this pattern twice onto some white felt. Cut them out to make two ears.
  12. Ad

13. Draw a smaller ear shape for the inside of the ear on a piece of paper. Trace onto pink felt twice. Cut them out.
  14. Fold the white fleece ears around the headband on each side of the horn, then secure with hot glue.
  15. Glue the pink bits onto the front of the white ears.
  16. The ones I made for this tutorial are pictured in white. I made myself a smaller purple and blue one without ears and wrapped stars around the base. These were a hit at the party!

Very cute!

Thanks, Benetta!!! :)