Desert Landscaping Ideas

Category Landscaping
Desert Landscaping
A great way for homeowners, in arid climates, to have attractive, low maintenance gardens is to use native plants or other plants well suited to a desert environment. This is a guide about desert landscaping ideas.

I am looking for inexpensive desert landscape ideas.

Hardiness Zone: 11

By Tish from Las Vegas

This link will not only educate about desert landscaping, but other links within this site will allow you to view desert landscaping pictures. I found this link to be informative and interesting, so have fun.

http://www.grea  cape-design.html

I just purchased a home with a large back yard and pretty good size front yard. Both are in bad shape with grass in poor condition, weeds and more weeds, bare spots, areas the sprinklers don't cover, areas in total shade and areas in hot beating sun. I am in the desert southwest where water is expensive! I want a pretty yard, but have very little money to spend on the yard. I have been collecting nice large rocks to line the perimeter, and also stuck some in the dirt to make a path (it's holding up). Some ideas I had, but really don't know how to implement:

1. Using the weeds; some are edible like lambsquarter and purslane, maybe containing them in pots or just a certain area. They don't look bad when bunched together.

2. Curb picking for things that might be useful, pots, plants, and decorative items.

3. Approaching people at homes with a seeming unused pile of bricks and asking if they want to get rid of them.

4. Craigslist for anything above.

I'm willing to let this develop over time!

By M in NM from Socorro, NM

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

We live in the high desert and did rock landscaping, put in some astro turf and 2 ponds with a river in between. (at a cost of $15,000 but we love it now!) Strangers driving by stop and tell us how great it looks!

By Rev. Mrs. Lynn W. from Barstow, CA

Rock Landscaping

Comment Like this photo? 1