Diet and Exercise Tips for an Overweight Dog

Category Health
Being overweight is just as unhealthy for your pet as it is for you. Excess weight can contribute to disease and reduce your dog's activity level. This is a guide about diet and exercise tips for an overweight dog.

Our son's Bernese Mt. Dog has been spoiled since birth. She is now 12 and prefers to remain inside instead of venturing out for walks.
She is constantly panting. When she is taken out (bathroom breaks) her breathing becomes even more labored. Actually any exertion on her part causes her to breath rapidly.
I am hoping to find a healthy diet and exercise plan for an overweight older Bernese Mt. Dog. Any recommendation to turn her health around as far as feeding and exercise? TY!

By MGR from Atlanta, GA

Answers

After a vet check to ensure she isn't suffering a heart condition, start her off slowly - five minutes at her pace twice a day on the lead. Work up to a half-hour twice daily if possible, and be sure to try to interest her in games like fetch, chase, tug-of-war.

The vet will have other suggestions but the above is a start. I actually empathise with her, lol! I used to live in Cherokee county, worked in Alpharetta, and there were all those hot-humid Southern days you couldn't get ME out in that mess to exercise!

Since moving to the UK in late 2010 I've lost a good bit of weight because it's just not as hot here as it was back in the American Deep South:)

Good luck, she's a beauty but yes, she does need some, erm, weight management:)

I have a 5 year old healthy Yorkie/Chihuahua, except she is about a pound overweight. She has been this weight for the past 4 years. Her vet says that she is overweight; she weighs 10.1 lbs and she should be around 9 lbs.

For the past 4 years I have fed her high protein, high fat, dry food, high protein, low fat dry food, weight control food, canned food, dehydrated food, premade raw food, to no avail. Either she doesn't lose any weight or she won't eat it. Currently she is eating Royal Canin Chihuahua which she will eat without me having to add things to it to get her to eat it. My concern is, will she gain more weight on this food? I feed her 1/2 cup/day and get her out for walks every day (weather permitting) - 1/2 cup = 170 calories/day.
Thanks.

By Sharron from Calgary, Alberta