Discouraging Black Flies

To keep flies away put a zip lock bag 1/2 filled with water above your outside door. Flies will stay away.

By joaz2006 from Phoenix, Az

Answers:

Discouraging Black Flies and Wasps

Place 5 or 6 shiny pennies in the bag also. Here is one comment I read from another site:

"Regarding the science behind Ziploc bags of water? My research found that each of the millions of molecules of water presents its own prism effect and given that flies have a lot of eyes, to them it's like a zillion disco balls reflecting light, colors and movement in a dizzying manner.

When you figure that flies are basically prey for many other bugs, animals, birds, etc., they simply won't take the risk of being around that much perceived action. I moved to a rural area and thought these "hillbillies" were just yanking my city boy chain, but I tried it, worked immediately. We went from hundreds of flies to seeing the occasional one, but they don't hang around long."

Get a roll of new pennies from the bank or get out the Brasso.
(08/11/2009)

By Cajun