Does Making Your Own Laundry Soap Save You Money?

Making your own laundry soap may save you money depending on your choice of ingredients. One thing is certain by making your own you know exactly what it contains and can often make it from products you already have around the house. This is a guide about, "Does making your own laundry soap save you money?".

I am looking into making my own laundry soap to save some money, but will I really save money? I get my detergent on sale at the discount store and I figure that it costs about 12 cents a load. To me, that is very good. If I make my own, what will it cost per load based on your own experience.

Thank you,
Mindy from Oregon

Answers

I make my own and figure it costs about 7 cents a load. Also, I use only white vinegar in the rinse cycle and my clothes are cleaner and softer than they ever were with store-bought stuff.

Linda in Missouri

By carla bledsoe (Guest Post)

i think you might save a few more cents, but the idea of making your own is more of a self sufficiency thing than a big money saver. just the knowledge that if you need to you can. that in itself can be a great ego booster. some people make their own stuff to see how much money they can save.

some for allergy problems. some for hard water problems. some (like me) just to prove you don't have to depend on name brands to do well. you don't even have to depend on store brands to do well. making a game of seeing what you can do without or make do with what you have can be a lot of fun and it give you a sense of accomplishment.

By (Guest Post)

I have been making mine for about 2 years now and not only save money on the detergent, but I don't run out and buy more stuff when I do run out of it.

I have even added cheap hair shampoo to the mix when I have it on hand as it cuts body grease on collars. My family thinks I am nuts because I do make my own but they would never have known had I not told them as my clothes are just as clean if not cleaner than when I bought detergent at the store.

I also use vinegar for almost all my household cleaning chores. When a pet has an accident on my tile floors I pour straight vinegar on the floor and mop. It kills any smell and cleans up as well.
I clean chrome, glass, carpet, counter tops etc...

One more way I have cut down on household expenses is using cloth napkins and rags as opposed to paper. This has saved a ton of money just on these two areas of expense! HTH

By Paula Jo Carr (Guest Post)

Like you I was going to also make my own laundry detergent UNTIL I read this. Use only 2 tablespoons of laundry detergent per an average load of laundry to get your clothes clean and to get your washer to last longer (A Maytag reapair man told this tidbit).

I took his advise AND have been using just that amount ever since! Our clothes still come out clean, plus I save money on purchasing detergent this way. Only useing 2 tablespoons per load makes a botlle of detergent last, and last and last. Good luck!