Easy Concrete Stepping Stones

Use half flat plant containers to make fast and easy paving stones for your garden. We had a bunch of half flat containers left over from buying plants this spring. I thought they would make great stepping stone molds, but wasn't sure how to get the best results and be able to reuse the molds for future projects. I got the idea to line them with plastic and turned out to be the perfect solution.

Supplies

• half flat plant containers
  • plastic garbage bags
  • scissors
  • bag of concrete mix
  • wheelbarrow or bucket to mix concrete
  • shovel

Instructions

1. Cut the garbage bag along the side and bottom of the bag and unfold it to make 1 large plastic sheet.
  2. Cut the garbage bags to fit as a lining to the half flat containers. We found that we could easily get 4 from each garbage bag.
  3. Line the half flat containers with the cut pieces of plastic. We found it helpful to wrap any extra loose plastic around the bottom of the mold as it was a bit windy that day. Keep it as flat as possible because folds in the plastic will show on your finished stepping stone.
  4. Mix the concrete in your wheelbarrow or bucket. Use a shovel to stir the water in until it is the right consistency.
  5. Scoop or pour the concrete mix into the molds.
  6. Lightly shake and tap the mold on the ground to level the concrete. This will also help push the concrete in to all the nooks and crannies of the mold design and reduce bubbles on what will be the top surface of the stepping stone.
  7. Advertisement

8. Let the concrete set-up for about 24 hours.
  9. After the concrete is set, flip the mold over and remove it.
  10. Now peal back the plastic to reveal your new stepping stone.
  11. The concrete will continue to dry out over the next few days, but you can put it in place right away.
    1. By Jess from Hillsboro, OR

Great idea - thanks!

I agree! What a great and "thrifty" idea.

Anonymous

And red cement for colored

We made 5 of these this past weekend but 3 already broke. We followed the instructions so I dont know what we did wrong.

I'm so sorry to hear that. I'm not sure what to recommend.

My stepping stones are still in one piece 6 years later. Maybe you didn't allow it to dry long enough?

I did a little more research and cracks are usually due to the mixture being too dry. So I would add more water to the mixture if you try to make them again.

Good luck!

Anonymous

I would pour half the concrete into the mould give it a bump to settle it then put in some wire to reinforce it then the other half of the concrete and jiggle it again to settle and remove air bubbles that's how i make all my different stepping stone always wire them cheers Gloria

Adding 1/2 to one cup powdered lime to the mix adds hardness to it.

What about cutting the bottom out and using just the frame? Wouldn't need the plastic.

You could certainly do that. I like the lattice pattern that comes out on the bricks.

If they cracked perhaps the ground under them was too uneven so they cracked when stepped on. Just a thought. Havent tried this yet.

Home and Garden Gardening LandscapingAugust 27, 2012
🍀
💘
Generated 2021-01-27 09:01:58 in 820 msecs. ⛅️️
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Easy-Concrete-Stepping-Stones.html