Extending the Life of Shoes

Before you throw out a pair of worn or scuffed shoes, consider some easy ways to refurbish them and get even more wear. This is a guide about extending the life of shoes.

I had a pair of shoes that really looked like they needed a 'pick-me-up' to give them some new life. I took some Fabri-Tac glue and some scrap fabric and measured to fit the shoes.

Since the glue I used is washable, I knew it would be good for the purpose. I don't plan to wash the shoes, but the fabric bonded is permanent with this glue. Before, the shoes had places that were pretty worn and stained. This was a good way to give them a new look.

By Monica from Cortez, CO

My husband was going to buy another pair of $85 shoes because his were scuffed. Instead, I spent $4 on shoe polish and they look beautiful! Sounds like a no-brainer, but I'm guilty of replacing expensive shoes when shoe polish would have done the job.

By Britt from Boston, MA

This was one of my grandmother's tips. She used to wear ladies' flat lace up shoes, and always had an extra sole and heel put on each new pair before she started wearing them. She would then get them redone every time the extra sole and heel wore out, so the originals were never worn or damaged, and the shoes lasted much longer.

Source: My grandmother, Mrs Lottie Roper (1907-1987)

I've brought new life into shoes by buying 'Scuff' repair dye next to the shoe polish. For my son's shoes I recently dyed his maroon dress shoes black when I realized the polish would just disappear off the scuffed toes. I've also changed the color of dark brown shoes that got water spots on them to a dark black as well. It hid all sorts of imperfections.

By Serenity

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

I needed a pair of comfortable black shoes to work in. I already had a pair in my closet that were suitable, but they were the wrong color and had a couple of stains on them I just couldn't get out. I decided to try some black cream shoe polish. I applied it with an old toothbrush, so as to get into the stitching. I think it worked very well. The shoes do look brown in this photo. With the extra shoe polish, it did dry to look more black than brown.

By duckie-do from Cortez, CO

Comment Like this photo? 6