Extending the Life of Your Dryer

The lint catcher screen can become blocked with fabric softener and not allow the air to flow freely. Cleaning this buildup regularly can help keep your dryer working properly. This is a guide about extending the life of your dryer.

Wash the lint catcher in your dryer in hot water with an old tooth brush every 4 to 6 months. You will be surprised how much of a build up you get from it. Also, it can lower your power bill and extend the life of your dryer. It also will prevent fires.

Source: My sister.

By Sandy from Nova Scotia, Canada

Top Comment

This absolutely works! I had no idea mine was even clogged, because I clear the filter after every load of laundry. To test it, I took the filter, and tried to run a soft stream of water through it, and the water floated on the top. After scrubbing it, the water just runs right through. My dryer time dropped in half of where it had gotten to. Great tip!

To give your dryer's heating element longer life, take out the lint catcher and clean with dish washing liquid and a scubbing brush. Fabric softner & dryer sheets put a flim on the lint catcher that you cannot see that blocks air from flowing through it. If you don't believe me, before cleaning it, run the lint catcher under water and watch to see if it runs through the screen on not! It's best to clean the screen every couple of months to save your heating element!

Anna

Top Comment

I always use a liquid fabric softener and used to use sheets. Now I use dryer balls instead of sheets. However, I have never had to clean the filter other than remove the lint, and my dryer is 12 years old. I have taken it out and tried it, and water runs through every time. I do not understand what products people are using or what sort of material your screens are made of. I have never had build up that blocked the screen.