Making a Fabric Teething Necklace
Make a soothing, attractive teething necklace for your baby that you can enjoy wearing. This is a page about making a fabric teething necklace
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
These necklaces are easy to make and can be made to go with any of your outfits! They are great for your baby to chew on when they are teething or for them to play with while they nurse.
- 20 mm wooden beads
- fabric strip - necklace (3 1/4 in. x 44 in.)
- fabric strip - flower (2 1/2 in. x 44 in.)
- large button
- pin back
- hot glue gun
- needle and thread
- sewing machine
- Lay your bead on the strip and wrap the fabric around it to ensure that you have enough material to make a 1/4" seam. Mark the fabric and cut. NOTE: My fabric strip needed to be 3 1/4" x 44".
- Fold the fabric in half lengthwise, right sides together. Sew the fabric with a 1/4" seam.
- Turn the fabric right side out.
- Tie a knot in the fabric 2" from the end. Insert a bead from the other end, working it down to the knot. Tie another knot, just after the bead.
- Insert another bead and repeat. Stop when you have 2" left at the end and tie a knot.
- Cut 2 lengths of ribbon, long enough to tie the necklace behind your neck the length that you want. Use a lighter to melt the ends to prevent fraying.
- Turn the ends of the fabric inside about 1/4"(at both ends of the necklace) to prevent fraying.
- Lay the ribbon onto the fabric, with about 1" overlap and fold the fabric around it. Pin in place, then sew the fabric and ribbon together. Repeat at the other end.
- Cut a strip of fabric for the flower that is 2 1/2" x 44" (or shorter). Fold it in half, right side out and pin together.
- Using a needle and thread, baste the fabric together about 1/4" from the edge.
- Gently pull the thread, causing the fabric to bunch up and curl. Knot the end of the thread and snip off the excess.
- Bring the two corners on one end together and stitch. Then use your hand to work the fabric into a spiraled flower shape. Use a needle and thread to stitch the fabric together at the back, so that it hold that shape.
- Cut a circle of coordinating felt to adhere over the stitched area. Using matching thread, sew the pin back onto the center of the felt circle.
- Sew a large button into the center of your flower.
- Use hot glue to attach your felt circle with pin back to the back of the flower.
- Pin the flower to your necklace. Wear it and share it with your baby!
This teething necklace is not only fashionable but also a great toy and teether for baby. Make them in a variety of fabrics to go with multiple outfits.