Feeding Wild Birds Suet

Should I continue putting suet out in a suet cage during the winter?

We are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards (US only) for people who answer recent questions on ThriftyFun this month! Click here to find out more...

Best Answer

There will still be birds looking for food during the winter months. Just make sure the suet doesn't get too wet or freeze. You should be able to feed the birds during the winter months.

You are right. They need energy more in the winter to keep them alive. This is a site that gives tons of recipes and it might help you, too.

https://www.goo … 794&dpr=1.13

Best Answer

Suet has really always been the bird food for the winter as summer heat can really make a mess with suet feeders. I live in north/central Florida and the heat in summer is too much so winter is the time my birds get suet.

There are birds that do not migrate south in most parts of the US but it may take putting suet out for months or even a couple of years for those birds to find your food.

Once a bird finds a food source, they will usually return to that spot often so be sure that once you start with food be sure to keep it supplied or the birds will give up and go elsewhere.

I would if I had birds to eat it. In my area the birds fly south.

Yes. Animal fat is easily digested by many birds. It is a high-energy food that is especially valuable in cold weather.