France Frugal Travel Guide

Category Europe
France is a popular tourist destination because of its food, art, beaches, and beautiful countryside. This page has tips, photos and guides for traveling to France.

Has anyone taken vacuum packed bacon into France? I am flying into Nice from the UK.

By pauline watson from Lancashire, UK

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

When we arrived to our vacant honeymoon farmhouse in the wine country of France, we were shocked to discover this massive beehive attached to the window of our bedroom. It was about 4 square feet in size and filled with thousands of bees. Unfortunately, it was trapped between the window and the storm shutters which could only be opened from inside our room!

Rather than call an exterminator (which we didn't want to do because of the scarcity of bees in Europe), we were able to find a local father-and-son beekeeping team who were able to transfer the beehive, the queen bee, and all the other bees to a new, safe location for no cost at all.

Although we had to spend one night sleeping in the room with the bees, the terrifying situation had some bright sides: We learned a lot about bees. At the same time, we were forced to learn more French from these guys, who spoke not a drop of English. Oh, we were also given two huge pots of fresh honey in exchange for our bees! We will never forget our buzzing honeymoon!

By attosa from Los Angeles, CA

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 15

I had gone up the steps toward the marble white Sacre-Coeur Basilica in Paris that summer afternoon, up on the hill, looking for Montmartre to see the artists that I had heard are always painting there in the square.

They surely were there and I enjoyed so much seeing them at work and their beautiful art pieces and the artists working on them. How exciting it was! I will go back there again sometime when we are in Paris. It is such an interesting and beautiful walk.

By Bob35

Street artists.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 3

A picturesque view from a bridge. The River Seine in Paris, France, in the late afternoon.

By Kelly D. B.

Comment Like this photo? 10

This cute little kitty was staring at me as I was walking down an alley in France on the way to getting some croissants. I thought the huge wooden shutters were beautiful, too. It really made my day!

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 18