Freezing Cooked Ham

Category Meat
Leftover ham can be frozen for later use. This is a guide about freezing cooked ham.

I was given a precooked, frozen 10 lb. boneless ham for Christmas. I have allowed this ham to thaw in the lower part of my refrigerator. I will not be able to eat all of this ham before the first of the year. Can I refreeze smaller portions in freezer bags for use later in recipes that call for ham?

By Grandma Mary from Fort Collins, CO

Answers

Best Answer

If it hasn't totally thawed out but still has some frost in it you can cut it into manageable sized portions and refreeze them. But if it's totally thawed I would heat it as the instructions direct, use the portion you need for your Christmas dinner then double wrap portions the size you want and freeze them for up to 3 months. After 3 months the meat should still be edible but will probably have lost some quality of texture so I would only use it for soup or something long cooking where it's not he "star of the meal" so to speak.

Can a smoked picnic shoulder be frozen before cooking at home?

By sco from Arlington, MA

Answers

Yes.