Fruit Flies in House Plants

Does anyone have a solution for getting these pests out of your house plants? I've used every solution posted for eliminating potential breeding grounds (and the flies themselves), but no one has touched on how to do this short of throwing away my plants.

By Allie A.

I have had success with a mix of water, liquid dish soap and vinegar, red wine vinegar seeming the best. In a small jar, such a a spice jar, put a little water and vinegar and just a drop or so of the soap, about an inch or so in the bottom of the jar. Mix well. You should be able to smell the vinegar. Into the mouth of a jar put a funnel of rolled paper, not touching the water mix, but projecting below the mouth of the jar. Set near the infested sight. Depending of the number of fruit flies, you may have to empty it every day or so and start with a fresh mix. I think it is the scent of the vinegar that attracts them.

There's no such thing as a fruit fly. These are drain flies. These flies are just attracted to anything smelling like fruit or wine (grapes). There's been an infestation of them in many States, especially Michigan. The professionals say they can't take them out anymore; the flies are tolerant to everything they use. I do know as a PT lead bartender for 30 years, to catch them or court them out of their haven, put plastic cups around, drop in some vinegar and water and a drop or two of Dawn dishwashing liquid.

Be reminded by the professionals that if you get a male and female that nest in your plants or your house, they multiply 1000 every hour. Believe me, I've seen it in the restaurants I work at.