Gas Smell in Car's Trunk

While filling our car with gas the automatic shut-off malfunctioned and we got a few gallons of gasoline all over, with quite a bit of it going into the trunk. That soaked all the liners and pads. I've washed and rinsed everything, but the gas odor is still there. Apparently the sound-deadening pads, along with the adhesive holding them, soaked up more of the gasoline than I could wash out.

I'm looking for a product, dry or liquid, that I can use to clean and/or absorb the rest of the gasoline. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

By Tom from Minneapolis, MN

Feedback:

Ideas

Perhaps you could try using vinegar and leave the trunk open and in the sun. Cat litter, baking soda and charcoal are supposed to help with odors too. You could also try a full service car wash center -- they may be able to help you get it out or give you some suggestions. Good luck! (03/29/2010)

By kitkatk100