Getting Rid Of Creeping Charlie Without Killing My Grass

My yard is full of a 'weed' called Creeping Charlie! Any idea how to get rid of it, without killing all of the grass? HELP!

Cathy (01/11/2005)

Answers:

I read in a magazine once that if you put beer on certain types of weeds in your yard it will kill it. I've not tried it myself, but it may be worth a try. (01/11/2005)

By Terry

You can choose between a "broadleafed" herbicide or one for grasses. The broadleafed herbicides will kill your weeds but will not harm your grass. Be sure the herbicide you choose is not for killing grass and you will be fine. (01/12/2005)

By Jean Christian

I was told by a nurserywoman that a 1/2 cup of Borax to 5 gal water will kill creeping charlie. Use a watering can to water the grass with this mixture. Give the borax time to disolve before using. (02/01/2005)

By Anonymous

http://www.mspmag.com/gardener.asp?date=12-13-2000&page=3
this site says using Borax isn't going to work because you can only use it 2 times a year for 2 years that's it no more or you risk making it so nothing will grow where you sprayed it. It suggest (april 11? 2001 note) 2 ways to rid your yard of this pest 1. pull it up EVERY BIT OF IT ot it'll start all over. Or 2. weed killer 4 times a year with out fail is suggest you check with a nursery on what kind to use. Hope this helps (02/18/2005)

By Tracy Bettendorf ia

Trimix is te stuff to use . Worked for me after many repeated applications (04/27/2005)

By Big Williw

Use the following mixture and applied after cutting your lawn in a spray bottle will remove creeping charlie

Take a pinched Chewing tobacco wrapped in cloth placed in two cups of boiling water once dissolved remove and add two table spoons of molasses once the molasses is dissolved pour into a gallon container. Add one can of Beer and one can of non-cola sode (Sprite). Then pour a 12 or 16 oz container of dish soap (any brand) into the gallon.

Spray after every cutting for a whole summer and it will remove the creeping charlie. (06/02/2005)

By PaulB0319

I woouldn't waste my beer LOL (05/14/2006)

By gosewisch

Iodized salt will kill creeping charlie. You have to be very carefull when mixing the salt with the right amount of water or the grass will be damaged also.

When I applied the salt directly on the creeping charlie the next day it was dead and the ghrass wasn't hurt at all. (07/10/2006)

By Wiliam Pietschman

I'll need to try the salt with my bark areas...and save the beer for afterwards ;) (07/11/2006)

By Kelly