Getting Rid of Fire Ants

I would like to know a good way to get rid of fire ants.

By Marie W.

I noticed a couple fire ants beds in a flower bed. I sprinkled corn meal on them. After several days I didn't see any ants but when I dug down in the ground they were running around. It seems to contain them for some reason. As long as they don't come to the surface I don't care if they are there. I know, this is strange.

I used uncooked grits when I lived in AL, FL, and GA from 1982-2010 (I live in the UK now). I sprinkled a good handful atop the mound, repeated if it rained.

It didn't really kill so much as drive the swarm out of my yard-they'd move the mound ten or 15 feet away, I'd sprinkle more uncooked grits; they'd move, I'd sprinkle...until they moved right out of the entire half acre of lawn and garden.

Another thing you can do is contact your local co-operative extension office or find their webpages online. The online pages will have lots of information on how to handle fire ants in your specific area.

Not as cheap as grits, or the cornmeal suggestion posted by the previous poster, though:)

Home and Garden Pest Control AntsMay 14, 2013
😎
🌻
🐛
📓