Getting Rid of Fleas on a Mattress

I bought a mattress and it is in my garage to be put in the room. The mattress is like new from a home sale, but it has fleas! I do not know what is safe to use or even what to use to get rid of them. Any ideas? Please help. I need it for company soon.

By johnj from Eugene, OR

Answers:

Getting Rid of Fleas on a Mattress

I'd get some diatomaceous earth and sprinkle it all over the mattress, on all sides. I'd leave it there for several days (or maybe until you need to get the bed ready for company), then vacuum thoroughly. I found some at Lowe's a few years ago. Apparently a form of diatomaceous earth is used for swimming pools. I read NOT to use that kind, because it's been changed and won't kill the bugs, and is harmful to people.

You can search here on ThriftyFun for "diatomaceous earth" to see others' experiences, or do a Google search to learn more about diatomaceous earth. Best of luck getting rid of the fleas. I know that it's no fun! (05/24/2010)

By Lisa

Getting Rid of Fleas on a Mattress

Salt, salt water spray, and Sunlight Dish soap. I have used all 3 on pets and carpet, and the fleas are dead! (05/25/2010)

By Linda

Getting Rid of Fleas on a Mattress

Borax powder will kill fleas. (05/26/2010)

By merlene smith