Getting Student Loans Forgiven if Disabled

Category Student Loans
If you become disabled after accumulating student loans, and are now unable to repay them, you might be able to have them forgiven. This is a page about getting student loans forgiven if disabled.

If you have student loans and are receiving Social Security Disability the loans and all part of the loans no matter how large can and will be wiped clean. All that has to happen is your doctor filling out a couplke of forms. I believe the forms come from The Social Security Administration. If not there then get them from the institution in which you owe.
My daughter is on disability and had 5 years of student loans. They are all gone now. The loan forgiveness does not show up as a negative on your credit report either. I am not sure but I assume that if a person is collecting SSI benifits the same is for them.

My daughter is on disability and had several thousand dollars in student loans from earning her degrees. Did you know that the loans will be forgiven when your doctor fills out the proper paper work? I found this out by researching how she was going to pay all the money back. After she got the form and her doctor filled it out, she did not have to pay back any of the loans.

By Janette from Parkersburg, WV

FYI, if you have student loans, are disabled and drawing Social Security Disability benefits, you can be forgiven of all loans if your doctor fills out a specific form for you. I know this because my daughter did it. She had six years of student loans and didn't have to repay a penny. I am not sure where the form came from. Either the SS office or where the student loans originated. Hope this helps.

Has anyone been through a Disability Discharge for a school loan? If so, how much time does the education department take until a conditional or final loan discharge is decided? How many in depth medical records are requested and how much privacy is there on what is requested? The law changes on July 1, 2008 with the education department. I am on a deadline. Any help is appreciated.

Sandy from Orange Cty, CA

Answers

Best Answer

Anytime your doctor or you send anything
GET COPIES!!! I sent in all paperwork for
disability and they requested info from my
numerous doctors and years later it was approved.
They kept putting me on something like
medical hold so it would not pop up on my credit.
And the thing is it is never a guarantee you just
have to keep calling till you get someone who
is compassionate and respectful.
Keep trying.

By Daisywoods (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I live in Pa. and when my husband turned terminal I started to call and find out information when I can cancel his student loan. I paperwork from the Cancer Doctor and he enclosed tests and x-rays. That department hounded me every day for payments and I kept saying that he is terminal and that should take care of the loan.

To make a LONG story short, 1 year AFTER his death and 3 original copies of his death certificate, I received a letter from the department saying he MAY BE discharged from paying his student loan. Days later I received a letter from the board of directors saying that they were sorry to hear of his death.

Of course, his loan is discharged. Any time I need help again do not hesitate to contact us. I don't want to feel hopeless about your case but I had even a lawyer and he couldn't get through to them.
Good Luck, daisywoods
PS Keep your paper that says the loan was excused. I still think they will come back to try to collect.

Budget & Finance Student LoansJuly 9, 2017
🌻
😎
😷
📓
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Getting-Student-Loans-Forgiven-if-Disabled.html