Gnats In the House

What can I do to get rid of gnats that are in my houseplants, flying all over the house, and getting into our food?

By Karen from Casper, WY

Answers:

Gnats In My Home!

I have found that gnats can be downed by spraying with hair spray. You can even use a pump and dilute it 1/2 and 1/2 with alcohol. The lacquer seem to stick their wings together. And an added bonus; nothing toxic, so you can use in the kitchen, and with kids and pets. (11/03/2009)

By pamphyila

Gnats In My Home!

I'm assuming you don't want to get rid of your plants. I had this problem a few years ago. An employee at the local nursery told me the only way to get rid of them without harming your plants is to put sticky paper down. I put some strips down at the edges of the pots where the gnats were living. It took a few weeks for it to get rid of all of the gnats, but it really did work. The gnats came back once after that, probably a year later, and I put more paper down and they were gone quickly. (11/05/2009)

By jj007

Gnats In My Home!

I've heard you need to wash your houseplants with dish detergent and water, and you just spray it onto the plant. I hope this works for you. I'd probably want to get rid of the plants and get new ones. (11/06/2009)

By Carol in PA

Gnats In My Home!

I tried a fly strip. The gnats were not attracted to it. I tried the vinegar, with some results. Most of the gnats remained. I finally got out the vacuum cleaner and chased them with the hose attachment. This was highly effective. (11/19/2009)

By krisbf