Dealing With Gnats Around Guinea Pigs

Small bugs, like gnats, can be an irritation to you and your pets. This is a guide about dealing with gnats around guinea pigs.

I have 4 guinea pigs. I have had them for a year and I never had gnats and now I do. I don't know what to do and I don't want to get rid of them. I love them to death.

Answers

Best Answer

Keep the cage as clean as possible and remove food bits between meals.

My 11 year old daughter has two boar guineas that are very tolerant of each other, but not of their other roommates... gnats, gnats, and more gnats! I have tried everything from vinegar to hairspray to over the counter pesticides (not sprayed near the cage of course!) Help! Surely something can get rid of them! Thank you.

By Karen H. from Clinton, TN

Answers

Something in the cage is attracting them. Scrub the cages, food containers, water bottles, all out. Dispose outside of any dirty liter. It may just be that the cages are not kept clean enough.

Put a bowl of apple cider vinegar, water, a little sugar and a few drops of Blue Dawn next to the cage. They will drown in there.