Gnome Garden

Our little gnome needed a place to live so we created a magical container garden for him.

1. Collect the plants you want to use. I chose shade plants: fern (from our yard), dwarf mondo grass, Mossy Saxifrage, Corsican mint, and Polypodium scouleri.
  2. Add drain holes to the pot if it doesn't have them. I like to set a rock over the hole to keep the soil from washing out. Fill the pot with soil.
  3. Create high and low areas if you want. I used a large rock to build up the soil and also created a depression in the soil.
  4. Plant the plants, keeping in mind that plants that prefer drier soil should be higher, so that water drains away from them. I planted moss in a broken pot and used part of a broken bottle to hold back some of the soil.
  5. I used crush blue glass to give the appearance of water.
  6. There are lots of tiny items (for fairy gardens or doll houses) that can be used. Small benches, flower pots, stepping stones, and garden tools look really cute. Rocks, twigs, acorns, etc. also make great decorations. Be creative and have fun!

NOTE: When watering be sure to use a sprayer with a MIST setting so that you don't displace soil or decorations.

I LOVE this!!! I am going to make one come Spring.

Crafts Garden & Yard DecorationsSeptember 22, 2014
🎃
🍂