Grapefruit Bacon Walnut Salad
The inspiration for this salad came from a restaurant version that I order every year around my birthday as a fancy treat. This is very easy to make, taking as long as it takes to boil an egg, but it tastes like you put hours of time into it. I don't add oil to the dressing because of the fat content that's already there from the bacon, nuts, and eggs. The grapefruit really cuts through with its acidity and sweetness, and really takes this salad to new levels. I hope you try it!
Prep Time: 4 minutes
Cook Time: 9 minutes
Total Time: 13 minutes
- 1 egg
- 1 strip bacon, chopped
- 2 Tbsp walnuts, roughly chopped
- 2 cups spring mix leaves
- 1 ounce shredded cheese
- 1/2 grapefruit, skins and piths removed
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 tsp water
- Place egg in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. It should boil for about 6 minutes. When it's done, pour out the hot water and replace with cold water so it stops cooking. Add bacon to a pan over medium heat. When almost crisp, add walnuts to pan and stir together. Remove from heat
- Place spring mix on a large plate and top with shredded cheese.
- Pour the bacon walnut mixture onto the spring mix and cheese. The warmth should melt the cheese a bit.
- Add grapefruit segments. Peel egg and quarter to add to dish. Mix together the vinegar, mustard and water. Drizzle over salad. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!