VegetablesGardening

Growing Cucumbers in Hanging Milk Jugs

I am conducting an experiment this growing season to determine if cucumbers can be grown in recycled milk jugs converted into hanging planters. I intend to hang the jugs on a wooden fence and allow the cucumbers to run over the side and hang down over a garden plot. I plan to plant yard-long beans along the fence in the garden plot to see if the beans can use the cucumber vines for support. I see several challenges: 1) Will a gallon milk jug have enough soil for one cucumber plant; 2) Will the potting mix with added peat moss provide enough water retention; 3) Can the cucumber and bean plants co-exist running together.

We are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards (US only) for people who answer recent questions on ThriftyFun this month! Click here to find out more...

Anonymous
Best Answer

I use the gallon jugs and grow them each year along a fence and they climb up and across.

Best Answer

Hello ! I think the quantity of soil will not be a problem but the type of soil could be. Cucumbers need very rich and moistured soil and more water than beans. Beans enjoy full sun when parts of cucumber plant are protected from sun light by its own leaves. The large leaves also keep part of the moisture of the soil. Beans needs watering but do not like moisture. The other possible discordance between the two plants is that one is a crawler and one is a climber.

Good luck on your experiment and I hope you will have fun looking for the beans in the cucumber jungle !

Catherine

Please let us know how your experiment with growing cucumbers as hanging plants in milk jugs worked! I would probably try growing them alone first, but I'd like to learn more about your experiment. I believe more of us can grow our own vegetables organically at home. We don't need fancy grow pots etc. Best of luck!

Carol - Actually, I have decided to grow some with the beans and some alone to see if there is a difference in yield.