Growing Magnolia Trees

Category Trees
These trees provide beautiful early spring flowers and dark green leathery leaves through the growing season. This guide is about growing magnolia trees.

I have a magnolia tree that I've been struggling with for years. The problem is no or very few blooms. I've tried a number of things. Still no use.

Any ideas?
Thanks.

By shirl123 from Houston, TX

Answers

Anonymous

A Magnolia tree planted from seed can take 15 to 20 yrs. to bloom. If you plant a tree, it can take 3 or more yrs. to bloom. Here are some tips that might encourage it to bloom faster.

http://www.ehow … -tree-bloom.html

I am new at growing magnolia trees. I harvested seeds from my son's southern magnolia last year and planted them, I have around 100 seedlings. My question is about when to fertilize my seedling, and if i should leave them in a cold frame or bring them in for the winter. They were planted in small pots to start, then transplanted in to larger pots. I have some that are over a year old, some 9 months, some 6 months old. Pots range from 1 gallon pot to 4.5 . I also have 3 that came up first and are not anything like a magnolia tree. I have read that some seeds will produce freaks, well i have three. They are very different. My daughter calls them Magnolia Palm's. They are very different from the other seedlings, as seen in the picture I sent. The large one is the freak.

PWILLOW3 from Midwest City, OK

Answers

I doubt those are magnolia mutants- they wouldn't be that distinct... unless you have exposed them to radiation! Most likely that other plant is some kind of elephant ear tropical plant. My own magnolia seedlings looked nothing like that.

I have a Little Gem Magnolia that is about 3 years old. It produces flowers on the lower half, but the top half has dead branches. Can I cut the dead back and what is a good time?

By pzbyrd

My magnolia tree is about 3 years old, and has a few flowers on the bottom half. The top has several dead branches. Can I cut back the dead ones? What time of the year would be best?

By Pat B.

How do I take a cutting from a magnolia tree?

By Joyce from England

How do I prune a magnolia tree?

By Joyce from Yorkshire, England

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Our 50 foot magnolia is blooming, huge beautiful fragrant white flowers. Sweet smells of spring my favorite season.

This tree proudly stands in our front yard. We love it as much as our wild birds do, they'll gather all up in this tree, and honest you would think the tree was singing. You can't see the birds; you can only hear their songs.

I call this beautiful magnolia our "singing tree." :)

By Jacquelyne Jean J.

Comment Like this photo? 6

Photo Description
The Groundhog says six more weeks of harsh Winter weather. I don't put any stock in this old folklore. One cloudy day wont determine the next 6 weeks weather.

The pictured Magnolia is one of the earliest plants to bloom, and even moreso this year. This early display makes us feel good, but it's not necessarily a good thing. I had a beautiful Blue Peter rhododendron for 25 years. Then I lost it due to an early warm up. The next hard freeze caused the rising sap to expand enough to burst open it's trunk.

It's a mixed blessing, seeing so much Spring color before it's time. It's a feast to our eyes, but it could cause devastation to people such as the strawberry farmer.

Regardless of the ups and downs here and there, in the end, the laws that govern our Universe will keep the total picture on an even path.

Spring is definitely on it's way, Y' all!

Comment Like this photo? 2

Photo Description
I recently took my potted magnolia tree out of our garage, now that the cold weather has subsided. It was happily flowering away in the garage, so hopefully it keeps it up outside. :)

Comment Like this photo? 2

My brother planted this magnolia this weekend. It opened up and has beautiful blooms. The smell is breathtaking. I saw three bees in the flower just loving it.

By Ann

Comment Like this photo? 4