Growing Vegetables Indoors Under Grow Light

I have planted radish and carrot seeds in a trough planter. I am growing them indoors using a grow light. I have use homemade compost and Miracle Grow Moisture Control potting mix. The seedlings have sprouted, but there is a white substance growing on the soil. Is this a fungus? I have been using a spray fungicide, but it continues to grow.

Any idea what it is or what I should do about it?

Thank you.

Three things that come to mind are, water a little less, provide more light if you can, and maybe most important is providing adequate ventilation. If you have a small, personal fan, you could use it to keep a bit of air flow around the plants. This may help more than a fungicide.

Some growers claim a thin layer of milled sphagnum on the surface of the soil will help keep fungi to a minimum. For me, it just caused the fungus to flourish.

If you lose the plants and start over, it may be a good idea to heat treat your soil in a microwave or oven. It should be made to steam and then cooled.

Anonymous

Thank you. I really appreciate your advice. Happy Holidays!