Growing Vegetables in an Apartment

Depending on light levels, apartment dwellers may still be able to grow a select number of vegetables successfully inside. This is a guide about growing vegetables in an apartment.

I would like to know if there is any way that I can raise some vegetables especially tomato plants this summer? My husband and I live in a small second floor apartment with no porch or yard. Any help would be appreciated.

Sandra from Pennsylvania

Answers

Best Answer

I have a nice yard but prefer to grow my vegetables on the deck since the deer can't get up there. You can grow snow peas in containers if you give them something to climb on and the leaf lettuces work well. These are spring veggies. When they're done, you can plant something else like green beans in the same containers.

Tomatoes work well in pickle buckets as long as they have some support (circular cages will work). You will have to water the tomatoes often. Also, wash out your egg shells and sprinkle them on the soil. They give the tomatoes their needed calcium and help to prevent blossom end rot.

You can even grow melons with the roots in containers and the fruit resting on the deck.

I wanted to grow some veggies in my basement apartment. I was thinking tomatoes. But not sure if there is anything else that is a good veggie. I have two windows that get pretty good sun. They are also deep so I can always sit a pot in them. Any suggestions as to how to go about doing this, or if it will work, or what to grow?

Thanks,
Raylene from Toronto Ontario

Answers:

Growing Vegetables in an Apartment

Since you have two nice, sunny windows, why not put tomatoes in one and peppers in the other? Black plastic both under and around the pots and on top around, the soil will give you more heat, which both need, especially at your latitude. I've had good luck in semi-sunny windows with lettuce, green onions, and Swiss chard. That is so cool that you are growing your own in an apartment! You're a true thrift-monger!

Be sure to feed well, since the pot limits root access to nutrients. Have you considered one of those cute little worm factories? You can use both the worm castings and the liquid run-off to raise chemical-free veggies, and even sell the worms or use them yourself for fishing. I'm told bass go nuts for them. A bit expensive to start off, but I would guess you'd get payback in about a year. In the meantime, the little red worms will eat all your trimmings, leftovers, etc. Just look in nursery catalogs for sources. (02/17/2007)

By coreenhart

Growing Vegetables in an Apartment

I grew 4 big tomato plants in an apartment south window years ago. They grew and grew but I never got tomatoes. After I threw them out, my neighbor the gardener told me I should've used a feather to pollinate them. Good luck to you, and many juicy tomatoes. (02/19/2007)

By jantoo